Dual Layer Discs, burning fails

vbimport

Windows XP Home
Burner: NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW
DVD MEDIA: 25pk DRD+85-RDUSA-CB25 (Ridata)
Software: Nero 7 Ultra

Hello, I recently purchased this drive and media to be able to backup 7+ gigs of information. I have no trouble with regualr DVD-R burnings, but the dual layer sessions fail everytime. Around 40% of the way through, it just says burn process failed. Did I get a bad batch of dvds? Thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

One of the most probable causes of your problem is the media: ridata are low quality media.

Agree here with geno.
The only DL media which is still fine is Verbatim.

well thats $50 down the drain! so there is no help. By the way thanks for the very fast response…great place here

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to give you so bad news :frowning:

You can try installing latest firmware to see if this improve burnings, or with different firmwares to find the best one.

If you can, try to see if a friend have a burner able to burn these discs with decent quality, but don’t relate too much on these media because their durability in time can be very low. At least you can use these discs for a while instead of throwing them off.

So you think that I wouldnt have any trouble with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817131163

(I hope I am allowed to post these type of links in here)

…and would I need to update my firmware for these?

Yes, these links are allowed :slight_smile:

These are 8x media. Sorry but I’m not very expert in NEC burners. Do your nec is a 8x capable burner on dual layer media? If not, I suggest you to buy 2x DL media, because burning a 8x media @2x can give you bad results even with a high quality media.

Moreover, many users here in the forum burned the verbatim 2x DL media also @higher speeds with great results, so with the 2x media you do a safe buy.

Okay, thanks a lot for your help geno, one last final question, is it okay to go from firmware to firmware so I can test my crappy ridata?

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

With benq burners you can go with any firmware you want; with liteon you can flash only with a newer fw; to flash with a previous one you need some tricks. With nec drives, I’m not able to answer

Sorry :frowning:

With Nec shouldn’t be a problem too!

It’s still cheap media…and so are the Quality results.

Could be a way to do some practice with DL burnings, or to test if layer break is set correctly. Temporary results to gain experience.

Cheap DL media is not that much cheaper than decent media.