Dual Layer discs = better quality?

I am fairly new to the world of DVD burning. I’ve done a bit of research today on DL discs and see that they have about double the space of a SL disc. I keep reading “can hold a longer movie” but I’m not so concerned with length as I am with quality. If I have a 2-hour video to burn, does it go without saying that because the DL disc has more space, the quality of the video will be better (I read somewhere that compression isn’t necessary with DLs?) Or am I missing something obvious?

Thank you!

Anytime you can do a 1 to 1 backup, that is going to be your best quality, especially if you use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, (TY) blank discs. This applies to both single layer & dual layer blank disc. What I am getting at is sometimes, a full Dvd or if you go with movie only, will fit on a single layer blank disc with little or no compression recquired, without the need of a more expensive dual layer blank disc. It’s not so much about time, but more about the amount of data involved.

[QUOTE=LadyJemima;2299753]I am fairly new to the world of DVD burning. I’ve done a bit of research today on DL discs and see that they have about double the space of a SL disc. I keep reading “can hold a longer movie” but I’m not so concerned with length as I am with quality. If I have a 2-hour video to burn, does it go without saying that because the DL disc has more space, the quality of the video will be better (I read somewhere that compression isn’t necessary with DLs?) Or am I missing something obvious?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

You’ll only ever need a dual layer disc if the original is dual layer.

If the original is only a single layer DVD then you can make an identical backup on a single layer disc.

If the original is dual layer then you can either compress the files to fit on a single layer disc or fit it on to a dual layer disc without any additional compression.

BTW the loss in quality caused by additional compression may be unnoticeable but this depends on so many factors that you have to treat each disc on it’s own merits.

[B]Wombler[/B]

In most cases, I will be editing my film in a program (i.e. Pinnacle). I can save it/compress it in any way desired. A movie I just saved as MPEG-4 was just over the 4.7GB limit of a single-layer disc and would need additional compression. Is this a situation where a DL disc would offer better output quality, or not necessarily?

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Just my tuppence worth: I generally tend to backup to SL, unless the amount of compression required is a lot (I have a bog-standard non-hi def TV, so don’t notice compression til it’s some ridiculous amount).

Using the same brands as Beef mentioned, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden.

If the compression necessary to fit onto a blank single layer dvd is minimal, then I’d just go ahead and reencode it. (target size will be approx 4.3gb though, not the nominal 4.7 you see on the cakebox for the dvds).

Keeping it as is will give the best image quality, but will require a DL disk.

For DL burns, you should use Verbatim +R DL. It is the only widely available double layer media that is consistent enough for us to recommend. There is another brand, called Falcon, but it is only found at a few spots online from US distributors. The Falcon DL disks are getting good user reviews here at cdfreaks, comparable to the Verbatim.

Keeping it as is will give the best image quality, but will require a DL disk.

That’s what I wanted to know! I will use DL for my “optimum quality” burns and SL for things that don’t matter so much.

Yes, I’ve done a LOT of research on the best media types and Verbatim keeps coming up as #1. I’m going to pick up a pack at Best Buy next time I’m out there.

Thank you all SO much for taking time to help out a new user!

[QUOTE=LadyJemima;2299791]That’s what I wanted to know! I will use DL for my “optimum quality” burns and SL for things that don’t matter so much.

Yes, I’ve done a LOT of research on the best media types and Verbatim keeps coming up as #1. I’m going to pick up a pack at Best Buy next time I’m out there.

Thank you all SO much for taking time to help out a new user![/QUOTE]

In that example you gave I’d say it was more like DL for ‘ultimate’ quality as the compression is minimal.

You’re unlikely to be able to notice any difference especially if you’re using the right software and the source material lends itself to compression.

DVD Rebuilder gives the best quality in my books as it does a full re-encode as opposed to transcoding.

You’re best answer though is to try it and see.

If you’re happy with the resultant quality then ultimately that’s all that matters.

[B]Wombler[/B]