Dual layer disc burn speed

srry if im in the wrong section, i picked what looked most suitable.
so anyway, i have verbs and memorex, both only let me burn at 2.4x speed. my last batch om memorex only let me bun at 4x speed. i really would like to know how to burn at 4x speed. thx

We need a few more details to be able to help you, xwater…what’s your burner make and model, and what firmware do you have on it?

Also what are the rated speeds of the new batches of Verbatim and Memorex discs?

Since Memorex use discs from different manufacturers, it could be that the old Memorexes you used were made by a different company.

BTW, your crosspost in the Nero forum has been deleted…one post is enough, and crossposting is against forum rules - please respect them.

hi. sorry about the cross posting.
anyway, my burner ishl-dt-st dvdrrw gsa-h21l ata
im not sure how to see what the firmware is, but yeah… the verb discs said 2.4 on the case, but it said up to 6x at the bottom. my memorex just say 2.4 on the disc, but so did the last batch, which burnt at 4x

If you launch the only burning program that I recommend for burning DLs, it will tell you what you need to know. The info beside your drives name at the top of the right hand window is your firmware.

k, here’s what the program said, i just copied and pasted all. one of my verbs are in there

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L L602 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL
Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 4,173,824
Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes
Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x
DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,086,912
Changeable: Yes
Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: MKM-001-00
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519
Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MKM-001-00
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

[quote=xwater;2019720]k, here’s what the program said, i just copied and pasted all. one of my verbs are in there

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L L602 (ATA)[/quote]Your current firmware is L602. The HP site shows L702 available as of 2006-07-07.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-41633-1&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3184140&os=228&lang=en

There seems to be a lot of problems with this model burner not being able to read CDs and DVDs with Vista.

man, i hate vista so much. its telling me "your system is not configured with HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21l drive. no update is needed"
any other idead guys? any way i could possibally trick vista into leting me?

Are you saying that you have the firmware & you try to flash, but Vista won’t let you?

yeah, i tried to run the update in the link, and it wouldn’t let me. i tried unintalling the driver for the drive but it still wouldn’t let me. im back at L602

Have you tried it from safe mode with no disc in the drive?

just tried it, still not working
thx for the advice tho. any other ideas?

bump

I would guess that you’re stuck at the rated 2.4x for those Verbatim discs - while most LG firmwares will allow overspeeding of certain MIDs, perhaps the HP firmware doesn’t, at least not with MKM 001.

As for flashing the firmware. Not a Vista user here, so can’t help.

hmmmm, well thx for the help anyway. i just checked and my bros computer has a LITE ON-DVDRW SOHW-1633S firmware BPSA
any way i could use that to burn at a faster speed. i put the disc in, and it only said 2.4, but is there a firmware update for it?

What OS does your brother have?

he has xp.

[QUOTE=xwater;2020537]hmmmm, well thx for the help anyway. i just checked and my bros computer has a LITE ON-DVDRW SOHW-1633S firmware BPSA
any way i could use that to burn at a faster speed. i put the disc in, and it only said 2.4, but is there a firmware update for it?[/QUOTE]

That looks like OEM firmware, probably from the manufacturer of his PC…AFAIK the latest official firmware from LiteOn is BS0Y.

Try the PC manufacturer’s site for a firmware update for that drive…or you could try flashing it with CodeGuys firmware, but that’s best dealt with in our LiteOn forum.

[quote=xwater;2020537]hmmmm, well thx for the help anyway. i just checked and my bros computer has a LITE ON-DVDRW SOHW-1633S firmware BPSA[/quote]If you still want to upgrade the firmware in your burner, one possibility may be to install it in your brother’s computer temporarily, flash with the newer firmware, and then put the burner back in your computer. You’ll at least get around any Vista interference that way.