Dual layer burning zero success

Hello,

I have read through many many other topics here but nothing has seemed to help my situation. I’m about to lose my mind not to mention I have a stack of coasters now.

I have a Lite-On SHM-165H6S Dual Layer DVD Burner. I have tried different dual layer media. I also have the latest Firmware.

I am using DVD Fab 6.0.7.0 and ripping an ISO image from a DVD to my HD. I then use DVD FAB to rip the image to a blank dual layer DVD. Every time I do this, it works perfectly. No errors no complaints etc. The problem…the DVD will not play in anything. It wont play in any of my 3 different DVD players nor will it play back in the LiteON DVD Drive…

I have also tried ripping the DVD files to the HD and then using IMGburn to burn the discs. Same results. I have tried running the files through VOBblanker and or FIXVTS…none of the above methods have given me one single dual layer disc that will play back.

the most obvious thing is…

are you using Verbatim DVD+R DL (made in singapore) media? , if not try that first.

also 4x burning speed is a good idea. so if your using 8x media and burning @ 8x, i would consider burning @ 4x and see what happens on your current media. (if your media quality is low then 2.4x burn might be needed possibly)

also… if possible change the booktype to dvd-rom (i aint sure if your current drive does this or not but i heard on older dvd players the booktype can mean the difference between a working discs and non-working discs.

p.s. i am assuming that there is no software issues or anything and that the data it makes it perfectly fine.

Thanks NBR, I’ll give your suggestions a try.

Here’s a WEIRD thing. I’m sitting here on my laptop. I just went over to my DVD player and ejected the last Dual layer disc I tried to burn that won’t play. I put it in my Laptop internal DVD player/write…and I’ll be darned, it started playing.

So now I am thinking I am getting good dual layer backups of my DVD’s, but I just don’t have a stand alone DVD player that is capable of playing them.

If that is the case. can anyone recommend a decent DVD stand alone player that will play just about anything that won’t break the bank?

I’ll wait on going that route though until after I see what happens after burning at slow speeds and or trying Verbatim media.

I just went over to my DVD player and ejected the last Dual layer disc I tried to burn that won’t play. I put it in my Laptop internal DVD player/write…and I’ll be darned, it started playing.

well you pretty much just proved the software aint at fault as the backup’s worked.

but i do believe Liteon makes a program that allows you to permanently change the booktype for DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM. OR (if you want a simple way)… i think ImgBurn allows you to change it from it’s software “Tools > Drive > Change Booktype” then select LITEON and change accordingly :wink: … then any DVD+R DL discs (etc) you burn in the future should have DVD-ROM for the booktype after the burn is finished.

but my guess is that your using low quality media is why it’s not playing (but if you got a older DVD Player. it’s a good idea to change the booktype as i said above). odds are Verbatim will work almost for sure since it’s the best QUALITY DVD+R DL discs you can get.)

in fact, i believe you can check to see what the current booktype is set to by sticking that already burned disc into your laptop burner etc and load up ImgBurn and it will show what the current booktype is set on those burned discs. you can check it by doing this…

stick in the burned disc, load up imgburn. put imgburn into “MODE > READ” then select the drive that the disc is in and after it reads it you will see on the right hand side of the program a whole bunch of info… scroll down to where it says something like “Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L0):” and just below that you will see “Book Type: DVD-ROM” (your’s will either say DVD-ROM or DVD+R DL) … it’s best to have DVD-ROM.

p.s. but as far as your current (low quality, most likely) media the best thing i can suggest is try lowering the burn speed, especially if your burning those discs @ 8x. but if 4x fails, try 2.4x. if 2.4x still dont work there’s probably not much you can do besides getting better quality media. OR if you have another dvd burner you can try that to. but i figure it’s mostly the low quality discs that are the issue because even if they worked on another burner and dont work on your Liteon drive that don’t mean your liteon is a bad burner.

but i do believe Liteon makes a program that allows you to permanently change the booktype for DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM. OR (if you want a simple way)… i think ImgBurn allows you to change it from it’s software “Tools > Drive > Change Booktype” then select LITEON and change accordingly … then any DVD+R DL discs (etc) you burn in the future should have DVD-ROM for the booktype after the burn is finished.

I also tried burning at 2x and got the same results.

Booktype came up as DVD +R DL. I found the Liteon Utility Booktype program and have changed from DVD+R DL to DVDROM. I’ll try burning once more then it’s off to the store to try and find some verbatim media.

thanks for your insight. Hopefully a solution is around the corner.

Use this program it will help you to identify your DvD drive if it’s compatible with your Blank DvD.

OK. I burned one at DVD-ROM mode at 2x speed. Same result. So, I borrowed my neighbor’s stand alone DVD player. It’s a Phillips(model#DVP642/37). I put one of the “coasters” in it and it plays just fine. I tried allthe other coasters and they all play.

So, I am thinking my problem is not the burner or software or speed I’m burning at or DVD-ROM mode. My problem is my DVD players cannot play these dual layer discs(both Magnavox DVD recorder/Players MWR10D6) nor can the Liteon burner that I use to burn the discs.

I’m still going to get some Verbatim discs. Perhaps my magnavox recorder/player can play that brand of D/L media. :rolleyes:

FYI: The DVD RW drive in my laptop that can play these discs also is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850T.