Dual Layer burning w/ images not working

Hey guys

There have been many responses to this problem (I know), and I’ve been reading them for a , but I still don’t seem to get it. So please pardon my stupidity.

I recently started backing up my DVDs with Dual Layer burning. I have the Pioneer A09 XL (firmware 1.58), and used dvd decrypter and ImgBurn to create and burn my images, respectively.

The first two I created using dvd decrypter alone. With superman 2, I tried using dvd decrypter alone, dvd decrypter with ImgBurn, Dvd Decryptor with AnyDVD (disabling check for structure protection and enabling ElbyCDIO -Elaborate bytes in decryptor) and then burning with ImgBurn…and all have produced the same result.

My first two copies worked fine. I’ve been trying to backup a copy of Superman II and have produced 5 disks that only work on my A09 (the first 2 I backed up worked on other players for me).

The first two I created using dvd decrypter alone. With superman 2, I tried using dvd decrypter alone, dvd decrypter with ImgBurn, Dvd Decryptor with AnyDVD (disabling check for structure protection and enabling ElbyCDIO -Elaborate bytes in decryptor) and then burning with ImgBurn…and all have produced the same result.

I came across some posts about bit-setting and the it turns out that the buffalo firmware 8.58 would automatically bit set the A09, so I flashed my drive and tried to burn another copy…yet no luck…any advice…

I’d appreciate any help…thanks…

Where exactly you get the problems? With burning or playback on dvd players, and also what for media you’ve used?

The problem is with playback. It works only on DL burning drive, not on the others. I thought the buffalo 8.58 firmware would help me solve that problem…but it hasn’t.

Also Im using Verbatim DVD+R DL disks for burning.

thanks

It works only on DL burning drive, not on the others.

Are you trying to play the discs on a actual DVD player or a computer DVD drive? There is no guarantee that a DVD drive will read a DL+R if DL+R is not listed in the specs. I have a bitsetted DL+R that works in my LG 4040 (came out before DL+R existed) but, it doesn’t work in my Ricoh drive. The same is for DVD players especially if the player is a bit old now.

I have the same Pioneer and use 1.58 firmware. It will automatically bitset DL+R anyway and Buffalo firmware is not needed unless you want the drive region free.

well, Im trying to play it both on a standalone DVD player and a computer DVD drive, separate from the DL burning drive.

I guess my confusion is why am I able to get some DL burns that play on my laptop dvd drive (DVD+R DL spec not listed), and standalone dvd player and some that don’t (ie only play on the Pioneer), when I’m using the same software and order to burn?

thanks again guys

I just realized something. I was thinking about what nwg said, and he’s right my drive automatically bit set the first 2 DL burns I made (DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM). But it hasn’t done so for any subsequent burns. Could anyone explain why? and what could I do to ensure that the drive consistently bitsets to DVD-ROM?

I would try to put the 1.58 firmware back on. It automatically bitsets DL+R. I have done a dozen or so discs and they are all DVD ROM. I would also use DVD Decrypter to make a ISO amd Imgburn to burn the ISO.

Also, I got a Sony player which will play these discs fine and it is 4 years old now. The same discs will not play in my 18 month Sony. They also play in my £30 supermarket player. If the player does not specify DL compatibility then it is just luck of the draw if it works.

nwg, could you tell me what your DVD Decrypter and Imgburn settings are? thanks a lot

I managed to flash my drive back to 1.58, and was able to burn after compression using DVDShrink. :slight_smile:

However, I tried using Decrypter ISO>read and ImgBurn to write, and it still gave me DR+L only compatible burns :sad: . Do you have to do something with the 1.58 firmware to get it to bit set automatically? or does is it just a random thing?

Also, it seems now, that I can’t get the burner to read regular (original) DVDs.

any thoughts… :confused:

I use the default settings

The firmware on my drive does the bitsetting automatically. I don’t need to do anything. Some drives do need to be set manually which are done in DVD Decrypter/Imgburn.

Have you tried burning the ISO with DVD Decrypter with 1.58?

I did try to burn with iso last night after reverting back to 1.58, but no luck with the bit-setting. Also, now the burner doesn’t read any of my original DVDs, only the ones it burns.

what do you think I should do?