Dual layer burners from Office Max

I’m thinking of getting a dual layer burner from Office Max (they have a pretty good return policy if I don’t like the product, and I don’t pay shipping). Below are the drives they have in the store that I’m thinking about: 3 different brands, 5 different burners. Can anyone here recommend one over the other or have any warnings/problems with a particular burner/brand listed below? Thanks!

HP DVD940i Internal Lightscribe 18x DVD Writer Kit
I/O Magic Int 16x Dual Layer DVD Drive
I/O Magic Internal 18X DVD R/RW Drive (IDVD18DLS) Lightscribe
Memorex 16x DVD+/-RW Internal Dual Format Drive
Memorex 18x Internall Multi Format DVD Recorder

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/thumbnail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536895273

Myself I think your best bet would be to go into the burner forums and read some reviews and then make up your own mind on this as everybody has their own favorite burner so you would get many replys and if you took somebodys elses advice and then you didn’t like the burner, who would you blame ?

[QUOTE=Jimbo;1922175]Myself I think your best bet would be to go into the burner forums and read some reviews and then make up your own mind on this as everybody has their own favorite burner so you would get many replys and if you took somebodys elses advice and then you didn’t like the burner, who would you blame ?[/QUOTE]

I concur as well look at the forum reviews from various users and their experience with the burners.

There are defanatlly a few bad burners out there to avoid, but like others have said, there is no one perfect burner. There are several good ones, each with their strong and weak points. For instance, the most recent burner I got was a samsung 18x burner. It performs better than any drive I have seen with verbatim 16x disks burned at 18x (and very fast), but it only likes a couple of medias (most disks burn like crap), so its got its strong points with only a couple of medias (exelent performance), and its weak points with other medias.
Personally, I would go with one of the newer liteons for an all around good drive, but there are lots of other good drives depending on what features and or types of performance are most important to you. Thats why its good to read the reviews (to see which has the strong points you like). Pretty much any burner that is getting good reviews should do the job.

Fyi, you are getting ripped off with those drives at office max (unless on sale cheap). Iomagic, hp, memorex etc. are all rebadgers, meaning they buy someone elses drive, slap their name on it, and double or tripple the price. You can get most drives from newegg for about 30-40$ (many closer to 30$), and get the same drives the brands at office max use. You dont get a better drive, just a more expensive name. You can look up drives to see who really makes them here
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters?DVDname=memorex&Submit=Search&oem=&chipset=&cdrs=&cdrws=&dvdrs=&dvdrws=&dvdrsdl=&dvdprs=&dvdprws=&dvdprsdl=&dvdrams=&bdrs=&bdres=&bdrdls=&bdredls=&hddvdrs=&hddvdrws=&hddvdrdls=&hddvdrwdls=&hddvdrams=&buffer=Any&cdrom=&dvdrom=&bdrom=&hddvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=50&Search=Search
Or look through the forums and or ask here, as some models use diffrent drives (they just use whatever they can get cheapest so one model can be several diffrent drives sometimes).

I have to agree with [B] Jimbo [/B] , [B]ripit[/B] and [B]coolcolors[/B] there advice is the best and you won’t go wrong if you follow it. :slight_smile: