Dual Layer Blanks....pricing?

With the emergence of the Dual-Layer Burners coming into the market in the next couple of months, priced out at approx. $200/US. Does anyone know what the blank media may be priced at? I’m trying to figure if it makes sense to buy the burners and media when they first come out or simply wait. If the blanks are around $7-$10/US. each and I could buy the originals for around $10/US…it probably makes sense to wait some time until the price drops…

Thoughts…comments…

NYCwave

I remember someone saying that they saw them priced (pre-order) at $20 CAN each.

Read THIS article. The Taiwan media makers haven’t even begun to start making media, and won’t be doing anything for some time. DL media requires a completely new manufacturing line.
I expect DL media to be in the neighborhood of $5-10 per disc, and extremely rare, for at least a year.

Clearly not a cost-effective solution for backing up movies.

I’ve seen a number of announcements by media makers that their will be an urgency in having DL blank production. Forecasts are they will come out in May/June and be price at $5-$6 a blank.

You also don’t have to pay extra for a DL burner if you need to buy a burner today get the BenQ DW822A at $101 at bananapc.com. It will be firmware upgradeable to DL. Firmware will likely be free. It may be awhile till it (the DVD9 firmware upgrade) comes out.

Originally posted by Vanderlow
Firmware will likely be free.

No. DL upgrade will cost you $.

You also don’t have to pay extra for a DL burner if you need to buy a burner today get the BenQ DW822A at $101 at bananapc.com. It will be firmware upgradeable to DL. Firmware will likely be free. It may be awhile till it (the DVD9 firmware upgrade) comes out.

That assumes that Benq keeps their promise, and the upgrade may very well include a fee.

Well we know it’s free now don’t we.

Well we know it’s free now don’t we.

No, WE don’t know that. It’s not anything until it’s actually available.