Dual layer backups no longer play on stand alone dvd players

vbimport

Aloha, first time poster here. i’ve been a registered user of dvdfab for about two years. i have recently (couple of months now) developed a problem where i am unable to make a clean backup to dual layer disks. This started with version 7.0.6.2(curently using 7.0.7). The disks burn ok but will not play in any of my stand alone dvd players (disk error). I have a zenith, daewoo and pioneer. But the same disks will play on my acer laptop using powerdvd. I’ve tried looking for similiar threads that address this but unable to solve the problem. I’ve unchecked remove layer break, pathplayer always enable, always disable, imgburn as burn engine but no go. single layers are no problem. I’ve tired cloning, full disk, movie only and nothing works unless i compress it to dvd5. can anyone help me or point me to the right thread that addresses this. thank you. I use an Acer laptop, sony DRX-840U and verbatim D/L +R disks. I’ve even gone back to version 6.2.1.8 and same problem.

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532007]Aloha, first time poster here. i’ve been a registered user of dvdfab for about two years. i have recently (couple of months now) developed a problem where i am unable to make a clean backup to dual layer disks. This started with version 7.0.6.2(curently using 7.0.7). The disks burn ok but will not play in any of my stand alone dvd players (disk error). I have a zenith, daewoo and pioneer. But the same disks will play on my acer laptop using powerdvd. I’ve tried looking for similiar threads that address this but unable to solve the problem. I’ve unchecked remove layer break, pathplayer always enable, always disable, imgburn as burn engine but no go. single layers are no problem. I’ve tired cloning, full disk, movie only and nothing works unless i compress it to dvd5. can anyone help me or point me to the right thread that addresses this. thank you. I use an Acer laptop, sony DRX-840U and verbatim D/L +R disks. I’ve even gone back to version 6.2.1.8 and same problem.[/QUOTE]

Aloha Siafu

Welcome to the forum :flower:

What brand of blank media is your double layer media ? also are you using the built-in burn engine of DVDFab ? if so it is recomened to use ImgBurn instead, if you don’t have ImgBurn installed you can download it from imgburn.com it is freeware.

Look below in my signature there is a guide on setting it up with DVDFab :wink:

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532007]i am unable to make a clean backup to dual layer disks. This started with version 7.0.6.2(curently using 7.0.7). The disks burn ok but will not play in any of my stand alone dvd players (disk error). [/QUOTE]

File a bug report.

[QUOTE=woppr;2532114]File a bug report.[/QUOTE]

It is not a bug in the program it is due to the media being used so filling a bug report would be a waste of the time IMO.

I use an Acer laptop, sony DRX-840U and verbatim D/L +R disks.

He’s using the best available media. Doesn’t mention what speed he is burning however.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2532118]He’s using the best available media. Doesn’t mention what speed he is burning however.[/QUOTE]

:eek: I must get my eyes checked didn’t even see the brand of media being ued :doh: thanks for the input on the burn speed :iagree:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532082]Aloha Siafu

Welcome to the forum :flower:

What brand of blank media is your double layer media ? also are you using the built-in burn engine of DVDFab ? if so it is recomened to use ImgBurn instead, if you don’t have ImgBurn installed you can download it from imgburn.com it is freeware.

Look below in my signature there is a guide on setting it up with DVDFab ;)[/QUOTE]

Aloha StormJumper
i’m using verbatim DL +R media. I did set Imgburn as the burn engine and it didn’t help, i’m back to using the fab vso burn engine. When i tried using Imgburn i get the (error) layer break not propely set. By the way i thought cloning eliminated having to set the layer break? When i use the fab engine i don’t get this error. The disk burns ok just doesn’t play on any of my players except my acer laptop.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532120]:eek: I must get my eyes checked didn’t even see the brand of media being ued :doh: thanks for the input on the burn speed :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I’m burning at 2.4x. Should i be using -R instead of +R?

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532202]… By the way i thought cloning eliminated having to set the layer break? When i use the fab engine i don’t get this error.[/QUOTE]

Cloning does eliminate the need to set the layer break when using Fab’s burning engine. When using ImgBurn you do need to set the layer break. In that regard, see Wombler’s EXCELLENT tutorial at the top of this page.

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532204]I’m burning at 2.4x. Should i be using -R instead of +R?[/QUOTE]

I’m using Verbatim +R dls, with Fab in “Full Movie” mode and ImgBurn as my burner. Perfect burns every time. Again, Wombler’s guide (“Choosing the correct layer break position in ImgBurn”), along with StormJumper’s guide for ImgBurn (in his signature) have helped me enormously. Check 'em out, if you haven’t already done so.

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532204]I’m burning at 2.4x. Should i be using -R instead of +R?[/QUOTE]

2.4x burn speed is fine however it may be that your standalone DVD player/player may require that the +R media be booktyped to DVD-rom, please go into common settings- “Write” and at the bootom make sure you have a check mark for “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM”

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532212]…make sure you have a check mark for “Set Booktype to DVD-ROM”[/QUOTE]

Does checking that in Fab that have an effect when not using Fab’s burning engine, since Imgburn has its own setting for booktyping?

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2532215]Does checking that in Fab that have an effect when not using Fab’s burning engine, since Imgburn has its own setting for booktyping?[/QUOTE]

Since you are using ImgBurn as the burn engine you will want to leave it [B]un[/B]-checked because ImgBurn is set to change the booktype by default, if you have it checked within DVDFab too it will or can cause a conflict :wink:

that doesn’t make a difference if it is still checked in fab when using imgburn engine at least on my computer it doesn’t

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2532224]that doesn’t make a difference if it is still checked in fab when using imgburn engine at least on my computer it doesn’t[/QUOTE]

It does on my system :confused: if I have it checked when using ImgBurn it does not always get booktyped to DVD-Rom :frowning: which is why I said “will [B]or can[/B]”

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532217]Since you are using ImgBurn as the burn engine you will want to leave it [B]un[/B]-checked because ImgBurn is set to change the booktype by default, if you have it checked within DVDFab too it will or can cause a conflict ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help SJ

Book type was initially unchecked, so i checked it and tried again and no change. So i’ve done it both ways. The program was working so great before, i don’t know what’s changed that my backups will only play on my laptop and not my stand alone players.

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532240]Thanks for your help SJ

Book type was initially unchecked, so i checked it and tried again and no change. So i’ve done it both ways. The program was working so great before, i don’t know what’s changed that my backups will only play on my laptop and not my stand alone players.[/QUOTE]

Does your drive/burner support booktyping ? also have you checked to insure the disc has been finalized/closed ? also have you tried setting DVDFab to use ImgBurn as the burn engine ? if you don’t have ImgBurn installed you can download it from imgburn.com it is freeware…just follow the guide below in my signature.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2532249]Does your drive/burner support booktyping ? also have you checked to insure the disc has been finalized/closed ? also have you tried setting DVDFab to use ImgBurn as the burn engine ? if you don’t have ImgBurn installed you can download it from imgburn.com it is freeware…just follow the guide below in my signature.[/QUOTE]

Does your drive/burner support booktyping ?

i don’t know, i’m guessing yes because the problem did not start till i upgraded to 7062

also have you checked to insure the disc has been finalized/closed ?

yes, i get the info bar saying finalizing. the backups do play just not on my stand alone players. should i do a remove and reinstall?

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532351]Does your drive/burner support booktyping ?

i don’t know, i’m guessing yes because the problem did not start till i upgraded to 7062

also have you checked to insure the disc has been finalized/closed ?

yes, i get the info bar saying finalizing. the backups do play just not on my stand alone players. should i do a remove and reinstall?[/QUOTE]

If I remember right there was a lot of issues with v7062 and if you are still using that version please update to v7082 which can be found here-> http://club.myce.com/f116/dvdfab-7-0-8-2-out-july-17-2010-a-314093/

and if that does not work try ripping the files to your hard drive and then use ImgBurn as a standalone program to burn to a disc this will allow you to see if the problem is with DVDFab itself or your drive/burner.

[QUOTE=Siafu;2532351]because the problem did not start till i upgraded to 7062
[/QUOTE]

Downgrade to old version and try if still no luck burner is propably gone defective.