Dual format burners?

When will we be seeing “True” Dual format burners, that can burn both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray media?

It’s difficult to answer. I just hope that it can go out soon.

Not 100% here but I thought I heard once that even though they both use a blue laser that the diodes are actually different? Remember I am not 100% sure on this but I did here that both are different. With that in mind I’ll wait till the price comes down to 200.00 USD as the first ones will be expensive. I am not sure they can do like the DVD/CD burner or not.

[QUOTE=SilverBlade2k;1947089]When will we be seeing “True” Dual format burners, that can burn both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray media?[/QUOTE]

Not before 2009.

[QUOTE=chef;1947377]Not before 2009.[/QUOTE]

In 2009 either of them will be no more! By then one of the systems should have won and the other dissappeared…hopefully :wink:

[QUOTE=michael the mage;1976205]In 2009 either of them will be no more! By then one of the systems should have won and the other dissappeared…hopefully ;-)[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so.

Well let’s face the reality most of us haven’t seen a HD-DVD-R burner !:eek:

I agree - the chances of HD-DVD-R media being mass produced in quantities large enough to make it a mainstream product are looking very slim, never mind how the HD-DVD movie format does.

While I do see BD-R/RE burners with BD-ROM and HD-DVD read capabilities catching on, I’m not so sure we’ll see mass market dual HD burners ever, unless Toshiba officially throws in the towel, signs an agreement with the BR forum to support a new universal format for dual read players and drives, and then makes a dual format burner itself. I don’t see that happening soon.