Dual boot windows 7 with windows xp

vbimport

hi. I have windows 7 installed in my laptop then I dual boot it windows xp

but I cannot install it in AHCI mode although I press f6 when installing

so, I change to ATA mode and installed it but then I cannot boot windows 7…after that I repair windows 7 and then windows xp cannot boot there is no windows boot option…:doh:

please help me…how to dual boot both windows and enable windows xp to boot from AHCImode :confused:

Hi,

you need to install the AHCI drivers for your Sata controller during Windows XP setup. An install disc with SP3 and these drivers slipstreamed is the most convenient method. Or provide the drivers on a floppy disc (an USB FDD drive should do the trick, if the CD has SP3) which is the default method.

Apart from that:
Usually, the older version of Windows should be installed at first, then the newer one. Somewhat difficult with a computer that has a newer flavour of Windows preinstalled and comes without an install disc.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2507854]Hi,

you need to install the AHCI drivers for your Sata controller during Windows XP setup. An install disc with SP3 and these drivers slipstreamed is the most convenient method. Or provide the drivers on a floppy disc (an USB FDD drive should do the trick, if the CD has SP3) which is the default method.

Apart from that:
Usually, the older version of Windows should be installed at first, then the newer one. Somewhat difficult with a computer that has a newer flavour of Windows preinstalled and comes without an install disc.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I think that last part is wrong my understanding Win7 acts like Vista and that Win7 should be first installed and your Bios changed to AHCI setting first and install Win7 then after that you would install XP SP3 last since both have different formats and boot settings. This should be the way to create a dual boot setup.

Hi,[QUOTE=coolcolors;2507883]I think that last part is wrong my understanding Win7 acts like Vista and that Win7 should be first installed and your Bios changed to AHCI setting first and install Win7 then after that you would install XP SP3 last since both have different formats and boot settings. This should be the way to create a dual boot setup.[/QUOTE]No. According to Microsoft, the proper way is to install the older Windows first, the setup of newer version will then install a boot manager.
Older versions of Windows are not aware of newer versions and will kill the boot information, so you need to repair the whole boot stuff after you install XP on a system with Vista or 7 already present.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

This is totally independent of the storage controller configuration btw. In case the controller is not set to IDE compatible, then manufacturer drivers need to be installed during setup:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859/

Similar could happen with 7 and Vista also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 (This seems to be one of the OP’s problems)

Michael

i have tried to press f6 during the setup start,
but my laptop doesn’t have the floppy drive,
how can i install the OEM device driver??:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=fokmas;2508152]i have tried to press f6 during the setup start,
how can i install the OEM device driver??:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The most convenient method is to slipstream it onto the installation disk. nLite makes this process very easy and it has the added bonus that you can slipstream all the latest updates for the OS to save time when installing (see WUD or Windows Update Downloader).

Slainte

midders

[QUOTE=fokmas;2508152]i have tried to press f6 during the setup start,
how can i install the OEM device driver??:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]As already mentioned, either slipstream the drivers into the setup disc or use an USB floppy drive (the XP install disc should have SP3 built-in).

Depending on your needs (what do you want XP for?), you may consider haveing XP running in a virtual machine like VirtualBox, VirtualPC or VMWare Player.

Michael