Dsl router/firewall?

Hey fellow freaks…:slight_smile:

Finally convinced my dad to drag dsl into his business…hey have been sharing a dialup via a proxy server I set up 3-4 years ago.

I’ve set up dsl routers/firewalls before, but was curious what you guys like.

Familiar with linksys, and d-link (not a big d-link fan, but mabe it was just a troublesome model), and some experiance in intertex IX66.

All I’m looking to do is is replace the proxy using ICS with a router firmware dhcp/decent firewall/bridge to the dsl modem.

Any feedback greatly appreciated…:slight_smile:

Cisco PIX is nice :slight_smile:

I’ve always been a fan of Draytek products. They don’t come cheap, but they work just excellent and are loaded with features. If you don’t want to spend that much money, I’d suggest to go with another A-brand. Many on our forums like Netgear and D-link products. I personally prefer Linksys (esp the ones that can be modified with alternative firmware).

Are there any features you are looking for? Esp features as built-in VPN server, PSTN/ISDN backup etc?

Thank you for the reply Dee-ehn…:slight_smile:

Cisco PIX would be overkill this install, but agree thats a damn good piece of kit…:slight_smile: Linksys is one of my faves too. It’s a 5 user network, and VPN and VOIP/SIP are not even being considered for what the do with thier network. Thinking a Linksys or D-Link will do the trick for what they want to do…:slight_smile:

Yeah… they all suffice. As long as they aren’t going to download a lot of torrents with a lot of simultaneous connections, all those routers will work alright. I think this biols down on personal preferences. Price and features will most likely be the most important aspects to consider.

d-link is the way I went for a church since reading online about problems people had with the linksys from walmart. Had to order online from walmart since they did not have in store but it worked great just like the d-link 604 I have had for years. Not sure the people who posted online about linksys really had problems or just did not know what they were doing and blamed it on the linksys just did not want to find out the hard way.

I do own a LinkSys (WRT54GS v1) and it works just fine for me. What I could imagine, is that people that use modified firmwares that don’t know what they are doing run into problems.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I’ll stick with my gut and go linksys…:slight_smile:

I’d go for a Linksys WRT54GS or an Asus WL-500G Deluxe, keep in mind that v5 of the Linksys router is bad.
You can find more information at http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6
//Danne