DSL or Cable

vbimport

Hey....

i was juts wandering.... whats better.. DSL or cable

Originally posted by savagez
[B]Hey…

i was juts wandering… whats better… DSL or cable [/B]

It depends. Speed-Wise? Cable if you will be the only one in the area using it (this assumes you wont be using things like VDSL, etc.). Other wise DSL.

Cable is more susceptible to hacking, though.

When I had dsl it slowed down during certain times of the day. So much i couldn’t even use it sometimes because I need the speed. In my opinion cable is much better. Set up a Firewall if you want.

people say DSL doesn’t slow down. They are simply wrong. BOTH cable and dsl slowdown. Cable is about two times the speed of DSL. I have had both DSL and Cable. The DSL was really reliable and I liked it, but once I switched to cable, I was amazed at how much faster it was.

For me, they costed the exact same price per month so I choose cable.

PS. I moved and now I am on 56k because nothing is offered here. Talk about SLOW! :Z :Z :Z :Z

Cable is the way…DLS at least is meant to have a fixed/dedicated bandwidth. (meaning it doesnt matter if 1 or 1,000,000 people come of the same pop, you will still get the same DL speeds)

But i have heard reports of this being false.

Cable has much better ping times for games.
A ping of 10 - 15 is rather orgasmic. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers

Definately Cable
I have spent years on this research and Cable is simply the best!

When it comes to speed, reliability, and EVERYTHING cable is best. If you buy the modem (~$100) then you pay $9.95 for the first 3 months and then $25.99 for the rest (AT&T Broadband plan).

Can you imagine in my area I get speeds of ~3-6Megabytes/sec?

DSL is ~50Kilobytes AT ALL TIMES. Since it runs on POTS (Plain old telephone service) lines, it has bad reliablity. Often gets disconnected.

On average, Cable going it’s slowest will go 2-3 times faster than DSL going its fastest.

Trust me on this one!

Cable is much better then DSL. Down here we have so much trouble with DSL and in many places it’s all that they will give us.

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
Can you imagine in my area I get speeds of ~3-6Megabytes/sec?

This wont happen with anyone. While it is possible to get speeds like that for maybe 1 or 2 packets, the cable hardware quickly adjusts to stop you.

The most you can really get is around 600-700 kbps.

Certain modems will limit you, but the one I have doesn’t. That’s the kind I looked for…

Believe me, in my neighborhood NO-ONE uses the cable and I have the bandwidth to myself. With a download accelerator I can reach couple megs per second.

Certain modems will limit you, but the one I have doesn’t. That’s the kind I looked for…

The modem doesn’t limit you, the service provider does. Perhaps you have a very odd service provider, but just about anyone else wont.

I would go with Cable for now (unless you live in Silicon Valley, etc.), and switch to DSL in a year or two. DSL is the Broadband off the future. Unless Fiber-optic makes some kind off amazing leap forward.

DSL gives you a fixed bandwidth (no matter how many browser windows are open), but with some cable operators, you can get your full bandwidth in each browser window you open.

Originally posted by biggles77
DSL gives you a fixed bandwidth (no matter how many browser windows are open), but with some cable operators, you can get your full bandwidth in each browser window you open.

No offense, but this just isn’t true. Having asked three friends who work in a cable company, all packets are “mixed” before being sent. This is true no matter what cable company you use.

I suppose it might be possible if you had someone on the “inside” who could rig it up to let you, but they probably wouldn’t be able to.

DSL is the Broadband off the future.

• Originally posted by SirDavidGuy

I really doubt this. DSL runs on a line that was NEVER intended for higher than 64Kilobits/sec speed. It is very unreliable (yes, my cousin has it and it sux big time!). I guess reliability is an issue with only some ISPs, but it still shows how bad DSL can be. Cable on the other hand was designed for FAST transmission at all times, is not distance dependent (Your DSL speed suffers depending on how far away you are from your phone company), and is very available at many areas. If a lot of people use it and it starts to slow down, the cableman can add an additional net channel, thus doubling your net speed again!

I really doubt this.

The reason of this statement is that cable’s max is 7 megs per second. The minimum speed of ADSL is 8 megs per second. There are many possible upgrades for DSL, but none for cable. There are some variations of DSL that have a minimum of 50 megs a second. Prices are continually going down. So, cable may eventually cost 5 bucks a month, and DSL 50, but the DSL variation will be faster.

The most you can really get is around 600-700 kbps.

I think not. I’ve been at 2400 - 2700 kb/s for days now. Its awesome. Downloading shit at almost 500 kb/s. I’m loving it.

Cable!!! It has just more speed (at my place) then DSL… And it has the future…

Greetzzz,

Sauron