Dsl issue

I have always been able to leave my PC (o/s=XP) connected to the net for days/weeks without problem. Recently I reformatted my computer (o/s still=XP) and I keep losing my internet connection every few hours or every day and the only way to make it work, is to Reboot and then everything is fine until it happens again. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Maybe a service running in the background?

Do you have

firewall ?
security program ?
Do you have Service Pack 2 installed on your XP?

you’ve got Adsl right?

-I have windows firewall running
-No security programs
-I have SP2 installed
-ADSL
P.S.- I have not changed any hardware or router settings. It was fine until I reformatted my HDD.

By reformatting, did you reformat, then do a complete new install? Did you install with original system restore discs, or did you upgrade some areas with individual installs of software? Be specific about exactly what you did?

-I totally wiped out the partitions and created new partitions.
-Did a full install of Windows XP
-Installed all the updates including SP2

do you get an error message when trying to reconnect ?

no, just have no connection

so when you double click on the dial-up connection and connect it doesnt do nothing?

can you set your modem to connect on its own like a router?

Its weird actually because if I am logged onto AIM, I can still chat with people. But if I try to browse the net, it acts like I am not connected (Page cannot be displayed error, or timeout errors). If I log off of AIM, and try to reconnect, I can’t. I can’t even get into my router’s config whe it does this (i.e.-192.168.1.1)

so you got a router

Do you by chance have an onboard ethernet adapter, and a pci ethernet card as well? Or maybe a 56k modem. Check your network connections in My computer, and if you have more than one, try disabling the others (Disconnect), and see if that makes a difference. I know that on my dell8400, I had to disable my onboard ethernet (because I also have a pci ethernet), and I disabled my 56k modem, and it cured all my network ills…

Have you tried “windows update” and clicked on custom updates and see if there is anything for you router/network card

Is it USB or Ethernet? What Network Connections are displayed in Network Connections? Try typing 10.1.1.1 into your Web Browser. Just sounds like you have it as a router and need to input your credentials security settings and PPP config.

I only have 1 onboard ethernet adapter installed. 10.1.1.1 does not come up, it is not recognized.

Like I said, I haven’t changed a thing, only reformatted. I will check the windows update for custom updates, but in the past I never downloaded any custom updates.

Ethernet - 10.1.1.1 Not Recognised - Thats an Isssue, but just to Clarify - You have 1 onboard Ethernet Adapter - Do you use it?

Somewhat a contradiction in terms:) You’ve changed as much as you possibly are able to on a system.

I meant Hardware wise, I haven’t changed anything.
Yes I am using the onboard ethernet plug. I always have without issue. This is more of an intermittent problem now, Yesterday it happened twice; today I have been good all day.

Any TSR programs running in the system tray?

Do you have a seperate PC that can be used to check the connection.

Did you previously have a proxy configured in your browser?

Have you set up your IP addresses correctly in network configuration?

Did you previously have your DNS set to your routers IP, if not, maybe you should check the DNS server IP’s from the router & have your PC connect to those DNS IP’s directly, rather than rely on the router.

I used to have upto 6 PC’s on my little 512Kb ADSL connection, and the ISP required all traffic to go through their clear-proxy, which wasn’t so clear & had to be configured in the browser for many sites. At any point in time, one of the PC’s experienced issues for no apparent reason. The reason often turned out to be that the router was not responding to DNS requests in a timely manner, or was relying on out-of-date DNS entries.

-Any TSR programs running in the system tray? NO

-Do you have a seperate PC that can be used to check the connection. NO

-Did you previously have a proxy configured in your browser? NO

-Have you set up your IP addresses correctly in network configuration? YEs

Did you previously have your DNS set to your routers IP, if not, maybe you should check the DNS server IP’s from the router & have your PC connect to those DNS IP’s directly, rather than rely on the router. Hmmm…didn’t think of that.

-My connection is trouble free aside from this problem of
occasionally needing a reboot.

Are you using DHCP, rather than a static IP address?

Most recent network card drivers?

Any IRQ’s shared with the network card?
I remember the Soundblaster Live & Audigy 2 have real freaking issues, just like you described, with my network card - Try moving these to a different PCI slot, or downgrading your Sound Card drivers

Yes, I am using a DHCP