DRW-24D5MT problem recording

Hey guys.

I just bought the Asus DRW-24D5MT. It came in a retail box, with CD including software.

I recorded 2 or 3 DL DVD’s without any problem, but my last 2 went to the garbage.

This is how it went down: i burned a 6.5 GB file into it, at 4x, and i noticed some “breaks” while recording.
The application i use shows how many MB have already been recorded, and it’s value is constantly incrementing (as it should), but then i heard some noise, the count stopped for a second or two, and then it restarted normally. This happened 4 or 5 times.

The burning process went to 100%, supposedly fine, and ejected the disk after the burn.

To my surprise, when i look into the back of the DVD, i noticed that the disk was barely written on 30% or 40% of the disc surface. Needless to say when i try to read it it shows nothing.

• I’m using BurnAware Free: for years it never gave me any issue recording CD’s/DVD’s
  • When i go to Asus website i can’t find any firmware application or binary to update my firmware. i THINK it is on v2.0 (i used Opti Drive Control to see)

I’m specially p***ed off because 1 month ago i had bought the iHAS 124 F (or something like that) and after recording maybe 10 DVD’s the drive became faulty and i returned it.
And now i invested in this Asus and he sends me DVD’s to the garbage.

Help please?

Thanks in advance

I had a few DRW-24D5MT failed with little use, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you have a faulty drive. What DL media are you using?

oh, i see.

The DL media are Maxell 276078 - (here: www[DOT]maxell[DOT]eu/product/dvdr-8-5gb-printable-25-pack-shrink/).
Do you think they are bad?

I’m wondering, they’re the same i’ve used when my other drive iHAS 124 F turned faulty…

Can bad discs eventually damage burners!?

Thanks

I only trust Verbatim Double Layer (AZO) media. What is the MID of the Maxell? Did you try other media with either the iHAS124 F or the DRW-24D5MT?

1 Like

hey kyrcy.

i downloaded “DVD Identifier” to check the MID, here it is:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:CMC MAG-D03-064]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [D03]
Product Revision : [064]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x , 3.3x-8x]

i tried a standard DVD (not double layer) from other brand yes, and it burned fine.
but i also tried the Maxell’s/CMC DVD’s on other drive and they burn with no problem.

why did your DRW-24D5MT drives became faulty? you think i should replace this one??

thanks in advance

Did you try other Double Layer media?

I don’t know why, but it was not because of much use.

Can the drive be replaced under warranty?

hey kyrcy.

nope, didn’t try with other Double Layer.
ok.
i think it can be replaced, yes, i think it would be the best idea, but it’s the 2nd one i bring to them, the last was an iHAS 124 F, using the same media…

i checked some reviews on the Maxell’s DL DVD’s, and there’s some people complaining about them going to trash too…

oh well this bothers me, i NEVER had issues with 4+ other drives, and now that i bought a brand new PC this had to ruin everything, hehe.

thanks for your help dude.

Keep in mind that manufacturers easily and fast change their production lines and products even their brand and appearances retain the same…