DRW-2014L1T - Bad drive?

vbimport

Hello all, I am in the middle of a short run duplication project (yes, completely legal, no bootlegging here) of about 500 DVD+R DL discs. I have been doing this type of thing for years whether CD or DVD, but this time I am having multiple burning issues with different devices. I’ll keep things tidy and post different threads in their appropriate forum.

I have two Asus DRW-2014L1T drives. They are probably about 1.5 years old.

One of them takes MUCH longer after I insert any disc before it is usable. Bad drive? One drive recognizes any media in about 10 seconds, while this one will keep the LED solid for about 30-60+ seconds. I’ve tried different cables and power supply feeds.

Is it even worth getting it replaced from Asus? How easy of a process is this with them? Granted, the drive was only $40 when I got it, and there are probably better and cheaper drives out, but matched drives is nice when burning using multiple targets.

Is there a software package that can test whether a drive is bad or not?

Both drives have the latest firmware.

What brand of media are you using, and is it dual layer? sometimes it’s the media that causes the problem!

Using Philips DVD+R DL 8X media. I think it is made by CMC. I know it isn’t the greatest media, but why would it fail on only one of the 5 drives?

DRW-2014L1T are not the fastest drives when it comes to recognising medias…
DL discs may take longer to be recognized, but drive may be faulty too…