Dru-810a

vbimport

Hello all. I just got a DRU-810A but I have a problem. The BIOS just doesn’t see it. What can I do? Thank you.

[QUOTE=cristyro;2689021]Hello all. I just got a DRU-810A but I have a problem. The BIOS just doesn’t see it. What can I do? Thank you.[/QUOTE]
That’s an old Sony EIDE ( BenQ DW1640) Nexperia drive, you could try to use a new cable or make sure its master/Slave config is right. Most likely its just old and worn out, you could try flashing the firmware again.

Hey, thanks for your answer. I know it’s a Nexperia, that’s why I bought it, for crossflashing. Can you tell me how to check master/slave config? Also, now the green light is flashing when I power on the computer but the BIOS doesn’t see it, but using the same cable it sees the H42N. Weird. What can I try?

Just a question: does the drive actually open & close?

Well, no, when I try to open the tray it just gives a weird sound but doesn’t open the tray.

That could be many things, including [but not limited to] the following:
Someone flashed the wrong firmware to the drive…
Someone’s computer killed the drive…
The drive killed itself…
The drive isn’t dead/dying, but there’s a power supply issue within your computer and the drive should be tested elsewhere…
The drive’s tray is simply stuck…
The internal mechanisms are worn out, so the drive cannot make itself move without some help [a problem that plagues older drives of certain designs]…

Anywho, with the computer power off, try to eject the drive tray, and pull it all the way out. Power on the PC, and see if the drive can close the tray itself.

As for the master/slave/cable select, to know how to properly set the jumper on the back of the drive: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1451759

I’m trusting you can safely search for more info on master/slave configuration if you’ve never dealt with it before. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cristyro;2689158]Well, no, when I try to open the tray it just gives a weird sound but doesn’t open the tray.[/QUOTE]

That sound might be a problem of the belt and the motor. There were some models who suffered of this issue.

[QUOTE=cristyro;2689158]Well, no, when I try to open the tray it just gives a weird sound but doesn’t open the tray.[/QUOTE]

As in this image http://dumbcomputerrepair.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/pin-in-hole.jpg after you press the eject button just use that eject pin and you might help the motor to finish ejecting the tray.
I had similar issues with one Philips 1660 which is actually one BenQ DW1650.

It works now, but the tray is broken, it can’t open/close by itself and neither I can. The computer sees it, I flashed it with DW1640 fw. If I try to force a disc inside, it won’t fully enter but it would just make a circle in the data surface. When I once was able to insert a disc, this was before the crossflash, I did a quality scan of a disc:
4x scanning speed: error
6x, 8x, 12x, 16x: ~0.40x speed max AFAIK
Some time ago it eject the tray half the way, but I tried to move it myself and I think I broke it totally, as now it can’t move the tray even at least half the way, nothing now. If I try to force a disc inside and the tray, the disc is too high right before the tray fully closes.
Sorry for my english!

Thanks for this thread, guys. It helped me with my own issue!