Dropouts on burnt disks

vbimport

I would like to know what creates dropouts (the most typical problems) on CD-R music disks. I use Maxell disks on an older computer that stays off line. It’s a P4 with plenty of memory and the OS is Win98se with official and unofficial updates. The burner is a CenDyne from ebay and was never opened or used. Maybe it’s not such a great burner. Don’t know.
Typically I burn my disks at the slow speed of 16x, thinking this
will make a better disk. Throw some questions or answers at me. :confused:

What exactly do you mean by “dropouts”? I don’t really understand your terminology. Are you referring to something physical on the burned disks or is this in playback?

You should tell us the model number of your CenDyne burner. There may be an updated firmware for it, though its probably so old, it won’t matter much.

As a general rule, 16x is considered a good speed for burning cd audio.

This should be checked at first:

[ul]
[li]Drive must run in UDMA mode - Liteons are usually UDMA-4 drives.
[/li][li]Condition of the IDE cable - MUST be a 80wired flat ribbon cable. A length above 45 cm (18in) is not standard compliant and might cause trouble.
[/li][li]On Intel chipset based systems, Intel’s Application Accelerator (IAA) should be uninstalled in favour of Windows native drivers.
[/li][/ul]

If this here http://www.pcworld.com/product/14367/cendyne_48x12x48x_enhancedide_atapi_cendynecdicd00118.html is the drive of the thread starter, then he might be better with something else.
I guess this is a Liteon clone (Smart Burn feature is mentioned), perhaps crossflashing does help here.

Michael

Thanks for your help guys. When I say dropout, I mean the playback on the late 90s Onkyo player in the living room.

I forgot to ask if there’s a section in the forum that will walk you through (step by step) creating an ISO file that has music in it. My neighbor suggested that I might burn better music disks if I used that method. I tried it a couple of times, but just ended up with a nasty, loud buzz when I put the disk in my player.
His idea was that the computer wouldn’t have to keep going back and forth to access the memory etc. and so it would
be a smoother, more continuous process. P.S. need the dummies version.

If you are just burning audio files to a disk, but not making a true audio cd, you don’t really need to make an ISO. If you are trying to make an audio cd, you can make a cue file from the various music files and burn the cue file.

ImgBurn is my normal burning program and it will let you do this and will burn the cue file to a disk for you.

ImgBurn is free to download and use. You can find it here: www.imgburn.com
Here is the author’s guide for making a cue file using ImgBurn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555 ImgBurn now starts in EZ Mode, so just click on Write files/folders to disc to get started. Then follow the guide.

Some people prefer a small tool called Burrrn to make audio cds. It is also free to use: http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Audio-CD-DVD-Burning/Burrrn.shtml

Thanks Kerry … I’ll try those. Much appreciated

I find generally that burning too slow creates more problems than burning too fast on some discs

AD