DRM on blank DVDs

vbimport

Recently I bought a 10 pack of That’s DVD-R DLs. The eBay seller offered two types of this product, one which was just that and another that had “CPRM” inthe description.

I literally did not see the distinction until after I had bought the discs (my own fault primarily) and didn’t think much of it until a couple of hours ago.

So I checked up the acronym on Wikipedia and I found out that CPRM = Content Protection for Recordable Media … i.e. DRM :Z

#@+% that. I #@%&ing HATE Digital Restrictions Management. Yet what have I done :doh:

What exactly does CPRM on a Blank DVD mean, and if there’s some kind of DRM nonsense, can I bypass it or prevent it from interfering with my burn?

Hi,

if I understood correctly, then this CPRM thing mostly affects standalone DVD recorders, not computer drives (but which also support CPRM).
I don’t think, this “ability” will affect your burns. I’d be more concerned about the compatibility of that media with your drives :wink:

Michael

I just checked, it’s interesting, my DVD-RAMs have CPRM and my blank CMC MAG E01 doesn’t have anything showing. I checked this in CD-DVD speed

Of course, CPRM can only be supported by DVD-R* media.
It is required by standalone recorders in some regions, like Japan. It will not make any difference if you use a PC.

(The only difference is that CPRM capable media (often advertised as “For video” while incapable media is sold as “For data” media) may be more expensive.)

[QUOTE=mciahel;2153384]I don’t think, this “ability” will affect your burns. I’d be more concerned about the compatibility of that media with your drives :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]I already know my Plextor/BenQ won’t like it, I had already decided to use my Optiarc 7203a with these.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2153394]Of course, CPRM can only be supported by DVD-R* media.[/quote]Another reason to stick to DVD+ it seems :rolleyes:

(The only difference is that CPRM capable media (often advertised as “For video” while incapable media is sold as “For data” media) may be more expensive.)
But it won’t encrypt my burn or anything, or if I opt to copy the burn from these DLs to another DL in an img transfer or disk clone kind of situation, I shouldn’t expect problems?

Hi. I have a Panasonic DVD-RAM and it contains CPRM. Other media that I have, is a DVD-RW Intenso that also has CPRM; in my DVD player, it plays fine with no problems. I have never seen a DVD-R that has CPRM.

Hi juancdg, I’m looking at your drives listed. The optiarc drive, didn’t Sony buy them out about a year or so ago? I read some bad reveiws about the drive Sony added their name to. Correct me if I’m wrong.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cprm+site%3Acdfreaks.com&btnG=Search

[QUOTE=valdan1;2153499]Hi juancdg, I’m looking at your drives listed. The optiarc drive, didn’t Sony buy them out about a year or so ago? I read some bad reveiws about the drive Sony added their name to. Correct me if I’m wrong.[/QUOTE]

I think that: Optiarc = Sony+Nec.

OK yeah your right, I was buying at tigerdirect at the time when Sony/Nec drives were on sale. I almost got one but the reveiws made me change my mind. That LG you have that reads damaged dvd’s sort of sounds like the Philips burner that read/writes disc’s that mt two Plextors have problems with, but it is a slooow burner.

Update:

I am nearly through this spindle now, and I’m going to have to use a DL for a DVD-Video burn, which means I may have to use one of my CPRM’ed TYG11s for the job.

I am satisfied that CPRM thingy has no implications for use with data, but is there anything (DRM related) that I need to watch out for burning a video project to CPRM discs?

CPRM only affects DVD recorders, not burning on PCs with standard drives:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1640174-post14.html

You dont need to worry about CPRM unless you have a TV capture board and want to record something from TV with the copy restriction signal on it (like digital TV in JP) on the PC and then later burn/move to DVD.