DRM-Free MP3s: Not really DRM-free

vbimport

I just posted the article DRM-Free MP3s: Not really DRM-free.

[quote][/quote]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/drm-free-mp3s-not-really-drm-free-28183/](http://www.myce.com/news/drm-free-mp3s-not-really-drm-free-28183/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I understand the artist wants to make a buck but this is the big companies ripping everyone off,the artist only make a faction of the money. I guest it’s going to take something big like a boycott if we can differentiate what music is loaded with crap and the other ones we buy.I’m from the hippie days where music was free.Corporate greed will will destroy them selfs just like the auto companys did.

Screamin’ and Cryin’ the blues

Excuse me while I kiss the sky-Jimi Hendrix

If my name is in it, does it belong to me? May I resell it?

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2508349]If my name is in it, does it belong to me?[/quote] Either you are the sole creator of the content and therefore automatically own all rights to the content, provided you did not give up or sell those rights. Or you have bought the exclusive rights from the previous rights holder.

May I resell it?
I don’t know.

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2508349]May I resell it?[/QUOTE]

Why not? If I buy a car, it’s on my name aswell. And as everyone knows, you’re free to resell your car.

But I don’t think that the big music companies will agree on that.

It’s bad enough they bury cookies on you computer and virus,that now they bury stuff on cds and dvds to control the music empires wealth in the future-what next-can you fight the money lawyers?:rolleyes:

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes-Oscar Wilde:iagree:

Screamin’and cryin’ the Blues:bow:

It’s effectively tracking cookies in your music :eek:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s watermarking going on also, since if there’s just this visible info in the file, it is only just a matter of time before someone creates a stripping tool, if one isn’t available yet.

If you want music to keep its value, buy it new or 2nd hand on CD, Record, Cassette, 8-Track, DVD, VHS, Betamax or any other physical medium.

Buying music online is a bit like buying software that requires product activation, but in this case it’s tied to the user instead of the hardware.

Thanks Sean we will have to see what’s next while I rant and rave for now,let the force be with you.

just screamin’ and cryin’ the blues

This scheme sounds pretty unscrupulous to me, if the providers have not adequately informed customers of their user information embedding (which it sounds like they have not). Doesn’t surprise me though, with the music industry’s history of shady actions.

The RIAA and all affiliated bodies are unscrupulous to say the least. They’re upset that people are sharing music on the web, but charging people $15 for a CD and a few years they decide to remaster the same CD and expect you to pay another $15 for the same music. Guess what? You can’t burn the candle at both ends and expect not to be burnt. Embed all the info and track all you want because it’ll hurt you in the end!

I don’t get DRM. The industry has never made full proof DRM… everything gets copied, DRM removed, and traded over the internet.

By using DRM the only people that suffer, are the people that actually buy your product. People who pirate go onto the internet and download the stuff DRM free, so at no cost, they get a superior product.

Its a pretty bad business model.

It’s like FBI warnings on movies… only the people who buy the movie see them… they’re removed from pirated copies.

I often wonder how much more the industry would make if they didn’t spend so much money and research and development of DRM.

[QUOTE=Zod;2509092]It’s like FBI warnings on movies… only the people who buy the movie see them… they’re removed from pirated copies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it’s especially “awesome” when they encode a skip & fast-forward lock on the FBI warning and the advertisements. Makes me want to not buy/rent/watch retail DVD’s, just get the main movie file alone.

[QUOTE=Zod;2509092]I often wonder how much more the industry would make if they didn’t spend so much money and research and development of DRM.[/QUOTE]

Yep, all of that failed DRM technology costs lots of money. You would think that they would learn after years and years and years of failed DRM schemes. Nope, they just keep pouring money into it and annoying legitimate customers. Seems pretty idiotic to me.

Just glad Amazon doesn’t do this type of stuff. I hope they are never forced to.