DRM a major problem for Library of Congress

vbimport

I just posted the article DRM a major problem for Library of Congress.

The Library of Congress has released a report detailing that Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a blockade, preventing them from performing their archiving duties. In an increasingly digital produced…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14875-DRM-a-major-problem-for-Library-of-Congress.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14875-DRM-a-major-problem-for-Library-of-Congress.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In 100 years historians will shake their heads at the short-sightedness of the early 21st century.

DRM seems to cause more trouble for those that legitimately pay for the software then it stops those from stealing it. At the rate that DRM is going who knows what fabulous works will be lost in the ether 100 years from now due to the DMCA and DRM in general.

Hopefully, the move by Apple/iTunes to provide DRM-Free music (and later Amazon) is a step in the right direction that could shift the industry but I’m not very optimistic about it.

Actually, the article is partly wrong. The DMCA now has been changed to allow circumvention of copy protection on items that are no longer on the market. For instance, it is now legal to circumvent copy-protection on the first Xbox, because it is no longer on the market.

DMCA exceptions can be argued for every 3 years, but they also must be resupported by the arguing/supporting party for approval for renewal every 3 years.

I see the exception you are referring to:
“Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.”

Notice that this exemption is only valid if the original Xbox game requires the original hardware. If the Xbox game in question is playable/supported on the Xbox 360, then it is still illegal to circumvent the copy protection on the disc.

“…when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive”

If this is the exact wording then it still does not apply to Joe Schmoe Consumer. If it did, I would think it would be more explicitly stated.

Yep, that is the exact wording of the exception and it might apply to Joe Schmoe if he is doing it for the purpose of “preservation”.

The morons in congress approved content control in the first place and now they don’t like it :slight_smile: Way to go, retards!