DRM a business decision, not ethical decision

vbimport

I just posted the article DRM a business decision, not ethical decision.

Many PC users don’t like digital rights management (DRM) copy protection, especially if it remains ineffective at preventing piracy while remaining a nuisance. Consumers are more likely to pirate than purchase products with DRM, but studios want to rightfully protect their products.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/drm-a-business-decision-not-ethical-decision-37288/](http://www.myce.com/news/drm-a-business-decision-not-ethical-decision-37288/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Corporations need to stop underestimating the value of making ethical decisions. When they start leaving ethics behind in favor of increasing profit margins, in the long run they will lose consumer trust and more money than if they had gone the ethical route to begin with. A slippery-slope indeed.

DRM by definition accuses their customers of being thieves.

Most people don’t like being called thieves and in reaction will make it a point to rob you blind in retaliation (And IMO you DESERVE it)

AD

It’s extremely easy to combat piracy:

1. Sell CD keys in store, with the bulk content only, no program/engine to start the game - different pricing for single player & multiplayer versions.
    Hint Single player should be much cheaper as no further costs will be ensued for ongoing game server use - allow the user to pay to upgrade to multiplayer account (for that game) at a later date for the difference - this multiplayer activation amount should be reviewed monthly and dropped by 5-10%. What serious online gamers wait more than 1yr to buy a game, right?
  2. Activate your account, Activate your game, the downloaded game engine executables are compiled/encrypted using your specific keycode encrypted into the executables and your username & password are the unlock keys - playing single player requires your username/password combination - without an online server connection required.
    When going for online multiplayer, the keycode/username/password info is already part of the executable & can be submitted/checked by the server without user intervention :slight_smile:

Sold the game? Still trying to play even though it’s deactivated or sold to someone else - feel free to play single player :wink:
Allow a keycode to be moved to a new account at any time - frequent account changes (more than once a month) should be flagged.
More than a few accounts with the same keycode - sinbin the users for a month from all game access, deactivate that particular game permanently, ban the keycode permanently.
Done.

1. Keycodes for each game should be deactivateable (is that a word?) in the users account to maintain resell value, so now you aren’t stamping on 2nd hand game retail stores.

Easy Peasy.

DRM: a greed decision, not an ethical or moral one.

[QUOTE=wconeybeer;2560901]Corporations need to stop underestimating the value of making ethical decisions. When they start leaving ethics behind in favor of increasing profit margins, in the long run they will lose consumer trust and more money than if they had gone the ethical route to begin with. A slippery-slope indeed.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I have seen this in every industry in the US, although some are more obvious than others. It has a lot to do with greed and maximizing shareholder profits at the risk of destroying the company. Piss poor management is the cause…

For PC games, I think the best protection for these would be USB dongle based protection like what some expensive software packages use. This way one could make all the installations and disc backups they want, but the game will only play if the dongle is plugged in. The big advantage here is that there would be no worry about losing registration codes, activation servers going down, game not playable without an active Internet connection, etc.

For music, video and eBooks, DRM should be eliminated for good. No matter what the content providers say, it unfairly targets the paying customers without affecting the pirates, since pirated copies are obviously DRM-free.

[B]D[/B]on’t [B]R[/B]emind [B]M[/B]e - Remember the unofficial abbreviations thread? :wink:

DRM + Music = [B]D[/B]eaf [B]R[/B]eady [B]M[/B]usic
DRM + Movie = [B]D[/B]umpster [B]R[/B]eady [B]M[/B]ovie
DRM + eBook = [B]D[/B]odgy [B]R[/B]eading [B]M[/B]aterial

Atari is in the same boat on the PC side.
Digital River is so intrusive I can’t believe it.

After numerous times trying to reactivate Test Drive unlimited I asked for a refund…
No go because I D/L’ed to about a year ago.
Well hell, I have a few racing games. It’s always Digital River that pooches the Gooch. Even with Hoyle games 2010 I had similar problems…
Finally after I don’t know for how long DR extended my activation garbage.

I told Digital River (DRM) is a waste of of time. If 12 year old kids can circumvent DRM why is it I’m a paying the price with games that are FooBar? Crap, I’ 55., I just want to play the stupid games(s). I purchased the game and would like to play it ever so often. Is that too much to ask?

Asshats…
J

The biggest problem is DRM truthfully only effects people who buy the products (the actual consumers) it has no effect on downloaders, pirates etc. who deal strictly in copied/bootleg software. I am not sure that companies realize this, perhaps due to ignorance, perhaps due to other reasons.

I agree it’s a money maker, even if it is far from 100% companies make it, sell it and make money at it. The average/general consumers have to deal with the DRM problems (having to have a disc in your drive to play, internet connection always ON, can’t copy music to iPod, can’t copy movie to your iPod etc.) doesn’t bother professionals or pirates @ all.

If their “goal” is to keep the average joe from making a copy or 2 then it works, but if it’s stop uploading to torrents, bootleg discs etc. then it’s a big failor.

The bootom line is: [I]As long as their is a market for the product, they will continue to sell it and make money on it.[/I]