Drivers to be installed after installing Windows 7

vbimport

Hi.
I currently use windows xp pro service pack 2. I will be dualbooting it with windows 7 ultimate. After installing the windows, do i have to install the driver for my LAN card separately? I have a separate LAN card. Also, I am using a graphics card. So how will I install the drivers for it? First install the motherboard drivers and then install the graphics drivers separately? Or is there some other way?
Thanks in advance.

That’s about it.

You should look at your motherboard’s website and download all pertinent drivers for Windows 7. before installing so you have them.

I usually do the chipset driver first, then Lan, Sound and then with a seperate Video you can load it from there website.

Windows 7 may have a generic driver for your LAN card within it.

Just to be sure you have one available, you should download a Win 7 compatible driver for the card before making your dual boot configuration. Put the file in the hard drive within your existing xp partion, so you can access it from Win7, or you can burn it to a cd, or put it on a usb flash drive. Whatever you have to work with. Drivers for the card can be found online at the manufacturer’s site…though very old lan cards may not have any updated drivers for Win 7.

As a general rule, you install motherboard drivers first, then everything else. Win 7 can be set to automatically find new drivers for your hardware. Click on the Windows Icon at the bottom left (Start). Type Device Installation Settings in the search bar and hit Enter. This will bring up a window where you can change how Windows 7 deals with automatic driver updates. Its probably on Automatic by default.

I always download and install graphics drivers by hand though.

Since you are Dual Booting you shouldn’t have a big problem, because you can always go back and Boot in XP to find the Drivers you need. If you built this computer, then yes, get your MB Drivers, Sound, Graphics Card, and Network Adapter. If it’s a Manufactured PC then go to their Web Site and get the Windows 7 Drivers you need. Once you install Windows 7, check the Device Manager and see what Devices need new Drivers and install them there. :cool:

Thanks a lot guys!

Your Welcome

I’ll second that order, always chipset drivers first (if applicable, some chipsets are completely supported without needing this).

Even if Windows supplies drivers, I’d look for better ones, and then check for options.
Eg. Later drivers for one Realtek LAN chip have an option for “performance” - now you may be tempted to turn that on, but where a LAN driver has a performance option, that can mean LAN performance at the expense of…

Just because a driver is available on WindowsUpdate, it’s not necessarily the best driver available, and unless there are significant customizations, I’ll usually be looking for very much fresher drivers from the chipset maker (eg. ATI/AMD for any ATI graphics) than waiting for the brand name to get their own update cycle into gear.

Just to clarify: The drivers distributed by Windows Update are from the hardware manufacturers as well as those from their support websites.
Admitted, the WU-distributed drivers are usually not bleeding edge.

Michael

Frankly I’ll NEVER install another dual boot OS for anyone unless they want it done as “swappable drives”

I’ve setup dual boots for people in the past but even charging double and telling people I am not in any way responsible or guaranteeing my work (stated to “Scare them off” I found I lost money every time.

install the new OS on a clean drive with all other OS drives disconnected.

This avoids shared boot loader files, which if they become infected or corrupted you lose ALL of
your installed operating systems

As for “drivers” I find the simplest and most streamline way to do this is to “run the list” and save all the available factory drivers to a usb drive in nested directories appropriately named so I know what each driver is for instead of some cryptic designation like “R228341”

But those are for “plan B”

“Plan A” is to have a network cable connected to the on MoBo NIC connector before I start the installer running
and when propmted ALLOW automatic updates and let Windows updates locate the drivers for me

I have found that sometimes some of the drivers ARE the newest available… particularly any Intel Drivers
(typically network drivers and Storage manager drivers from WU are the latest stable drivers

This last point was a great cause of frustration to me on my C2Q computer after switching to Windows7 (Factory x64 Vista Machine).
Thing is I knew what the issue was because on my notebook when I switched to a new WD 500gb HDD with AFT formattting it kept demanding to update the intel matrix storage manager and that is incompatible with the driver for my intel flash cache (Turbo memory) mini PCIE card I had

I also had a 4gb Intel Flash Cache card in my desktop that I essentially cannot make run in windows 7 regardless of the HDD used without manually reloading the driver each time I reboot the computer.

Eventually I just gave up and switched to a faster HDD.

AD

Usually on Microsoft operating systems i make sure the LAN and/or Wifi is working, so that i can have a decent internet connection.

Then i let Windows update take care of 99% of the drivers. These drivers are signed and tested thoroughly.

After that i take a peek on what drivers i still need.