Drivers not working

vbimport

After a Vista update my WD HR stopped working and now it won’t boot up at all. I tried to find replacement drivers but could only find the ones for Windows 98. I downloaded them anyway, but it made no difference.
I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction to locate the correct drivers and/or suggest ways I might be able to rectify the problem.
I have heaps of vital data stored on the hard drive. It would be a life threatening tragedy if I lost my data. It would be the equivalent of losing half my brain.
I hope you can help. Thanks, Suzanne

Hi and Welcome!

are there any error messages in Device Manager?
You might also try the drive with another computer in order to sort out if the problem is related to your Windows installation or if there is some hardware fault that coincidentially surfaced at the time these Windows updates were installed.

Michael

Hi Michael,
No error messages that I’ve noticed. I will try to boot up the HD on another machine and see how it goes. I should have thought of that myself. Thanks. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Again thank you so much for the tip.
Cheers,
Suzanne.

May i recommend purchasing another HD to make an extra backup? Perhaps half your brain residing on two places would make your life more comfortable.

Hi Mr Belvedere. Thanks for the response. I have already purchased a new HD. It’s just a shame I can’t access the data on HD #1 so I can store it on drive #2.
Cheers,
S.

Hi,[QUOTE=SuzanneFleming;2504057]I have already purchased a new HD. It’s just a shame I can’t access the data on HD #1 so I can store it on drive #2.
[/QUOTE]have you already tried the drive with another computer?

If there is the same issue, you may try dismantling that unit and try the drive internally. This would rule out a bad USB/IDE/Sata interface (and of course void the warranty. But I guess you don’t mind about warranty if you can access your data).

Michael

Hi Michael,
I did try the Hd on another computer but it did not recognise the new hardware and it did not show up on the driver list.

I think I will just bite the bullet and take the hd to a techo and see if they can put the drive into another case or something like that.
Wish me luck. I appreciate you support. Thank you.
Suzanne

[QUOTE=mciahel;2504127]Hi,have you already tried the drive with another computer?

If there is the same issue, you may try dismantling that unit and try the drive internally. This would rule out a bad USB/IDE/Sata interface (and of course void the warranty. But I guess you don’t mind about warranty if you can access your data).

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi,[QUOTE=SuzanneFleming;2504148]
I did try the Hd on another computer but it did not recognise the new hardware and it did not show up on the driver list.[/quote]Okay. Then something is faulty with the hardware of that unit.

I think I will just bite the bullet and take the hd to a techo and see if they can put the drive into another case or something like that.
There are inexpensive USB/IDE/Sata adapters available to connect the bare drive. It depends on your “skills” if you want to open the enclosure yourself or prefer to consult a technician.

Michael

Hi Michael,
I think I will just consult an expert. I don’t trust my skill level to do it myself.
I’ll let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
Suzanne

Depends on the (maximal storage) size of the HDD and also the connected controller/BIOS, in case of LBA.

Not applicable to USB connected drives as on topic in this thread.
You may read the initial post again and then decide if your statement was really helpful.

Michael

Michael,

please tell me where “USB” is mentioned in the first thread.

[QUOTE=chef;2504648]
please tell me where “USB” is mentioned in the first thread.[/QUOTE]Here you are:

Sorry, I just can see the plain text in post#1 without any links or further points to this product…