Driver update

vbimport

Can anyone tell me why when i scan with Driver Genius it reports that I have ‘20 out of date or corrupt drivers’. If I run windows update it doesnt detect any:confused:

I am considering buying Driver Genius but I wonder if its just a marketing ploy and will always find some out of date drivers so that you register.

cheers
Scotty

Hi,[QUOTE=scotty3336;2480397]Can anyone tell me why when i scan with Driver Genius it reports that I have ‘20 out of date or corrupt drivers’. If I run windows update it doesnt detect any:confused:[/quote]Well, these “Driver search” tools are not trustworthy, IMO. They often report issues that aren’t present.

Apart from that, Windows Update is not a source for all hardware drivers. Most of the time they are some releases behind (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing).

I am considering buying Driver Genius but I wonder if its just a marketing ploy and will always find some out of date drivers so that you register.
I agree to that opinion.

It should be not too difficult to find out, what hardware is present on your computer. Next step would be to check the support website of the component manufacturers for newer drivers.
But always having the latest drivers is sometimes not the best option. If your hardware is mature, then there won’t be any fixes for that hardware in the newer drivers if there are several generations of newer hardware on the market.

Another philosophy would be just to stick with the drivers you have. Update them, if you encounter problems.
My own hardware is old enough to prefer this way :smiley:

Michael

Thanks. I thought that this may be the case. The only problem I am having is as you know with my DVD writer and it doesnt mention that. I am now starting to think that the drive is faulty but wont bother replacing it as im going to probably buy a new laptop next year. It reads ok.

thanks once again
Scotty

Well, these “driver search” tools aren’t helpful at all with troubleshooting optical drives. They even don’t know the difference between a driver and firmware :doh:

Apart from that, I thought the problem was solved :confused:

Michael

unfortunately its not. I have sort of given up on it :(.
I have tried everything I can think of and you suggested.
Microsoft ‘fix it’ reported that this drive is incapable of writing and thier solution was install a writer. Even although it wrote the ISO file ok I am not sure what more I can do. Have ran a laser cleaner, removed the upper and lower filters. I use NTI Media Maker and it runs through the buffering until it comes to the write instruction then it just stalls there. The other problem is that the only drivers appear to be from Microsoft and the current one says it is ok

I do tend to use more Flash sticks now for storage and its mainly Data im storing - photos. I hadnt used the writer for some time and I was trying to write a data cd with pictures when the problem appeared
Thanks for your help.
Scotty

Hi again Michael,

Thanks again I went to the Samsungs firmware site from the link you gave me.
The win inquiry states:-

Drive - TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-L532UT104
Model - TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-L532U
Version - T104
OEM Code - 077

I searched for the firmware but This model is not listed :confused:

Cheers
Scotty

Hi,[QUOTE=scotty3336;2480606]
The win inquiry states:-

Drive - TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-L532UT104[/quote]Sure?
I can find a firmware TI04 for that drive model
–> http://backfire.rpc1.org/tsstcorp/index.php?path=TS-L532U/

I searched for the firmware but This model is not listed :confused:
Seems this drive was only distributed to OEM customers…

As already mentioned - if you can successfully burn a disc using ImgBurn, then the hardware is not faulty, and there is some issue with Windows or the NTI software.

Michael

:confused: I have tried Nero and Roxio with the same results so I guess my issue is with windows. To be honest I’m very confused now and the only road open to me now seems to be a reinstall which I dont fancy doing at the moment.

Thank you very much for all your help
Cheers
Scotty

Well, In desperation I tried to burn an image file again and it failed!
Here is the log:-

I 05:40:12 Destination Device: [1:0:0] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532U TI04 (E:) (ATA)
I 05:40:12 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m26s66f, CMC Magnetics Corp.) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 16x, 24x)
I 05:40:12 Destination Media Sectors: 359,844
I 05:40:12 Write Mode: CD
I 05:40:12 Write Type: SAO
I 05:40:12 Write Speed: MAX
I 05:40:12 Lock Volume: Yes
I 05:40:12 Test Mode: No
I 05:40:12 OPC: No
I 05:40:12 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 05:40:12 Filling Buffer… (40 MB)
I 05:40:12 Writing LeadIn…

So we can now assume that the drive is faulty.

cheers
Scotty

he log of a further attempt:-

10:56:06 Test Mode: No
I 10:56:06 OPC: No
I 10:56:06 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 10:56:06 Filling Buffer… (40 MB)
I 10:56:07 Writing LeadIn…
E 11:08:03 Failed to Write Sectors -150 - -119 - Reason: Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format
I 11:08:03 Writing Sectors…
I 11:08:03 Synchronising Cache…
W 11:08:09 User opted to skip the ‘Close Track/Session/Disc’ functions.
E 11:08:09 Failed to Write Image!
E 11:08:09 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:12:03
I 11:08:09 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

cheers
Scotty

Okay. You may be right the drive is faulty.
There is one final test.
Requirements:

[ul]
[li]Computer must be able to boot from USB devices
[/li][li]One USB stick with at least 1GB
[/li][li]A working CD writer and a blank CD
[/li][li]Broadband internet
[/li][/ul]

How to:

[ol]
[li]Download Ubuntu and burn the ISO image onto a blank CD-R
[/li][li]Boot your laptop from that Ubuntu CD and select the “try Ubuntu (no installation)” option.
[/li](you can also install Ubuntu under Windows: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-wubi - in that case, no CD and CD writer is needed)
[li]Insert the USB stick
[/li][li]Install Ubuntu on the USB device: http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-usb-drive.html
[/li]Note, all existing data on the USB stick will be wiped.
[li]Shutdown, remove the CD and restart from the USB stick.
[/li][li]Within Ubuntu, there is a GUI CD/DVD burning application. You can use that for testing your drive.
[/li][/ol]

Michael