Driver search (Philips 320GB SPD5117CC External Hard Disk)

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips 320GB USB 2.0 External Hard Disk. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]:frowning: I have just purchased this 2.5" external drive (no driver required?) and my Vista tells me it cannot find a driver for it. A search for drivers online was unsuccessful, so without buying a driver search program, I am stuck. Anybody help?

BTW, the enclosure that I bought is not the SPD5117CC/00. The no. is
SDE3273FC/97, made in China, so it looks as if it is not a genuine Philips product.

Hi and Welcome,[QUOTE=rowie;2242836]I have just purchased this 2.5" external drive (no driver required?) and my Vista tells me it cannot find a driver for it. A search for drivers online was unsuccessful, so without buying a driver search program, I am stuck. Anybody help?[/QUOTE]Drivers for USB connected HDDs are incorporated into Windows starting from WinME and W2k.
If Vista claims to not have drivers for this device, then there is either something wrong with the device or with your Windows installation.

Try other USB storage devices on your computer, and also try the HDD with another computer if possible.

[QUOTE=rowie;2242927]BTW, the enclosure that I bought is not the SPD5117CC/00. The no. is
SDE3273FC/97, made in China, so it looks as if it is not a genuine Philips product.[/QUOTE]Hm. Philips marketing names and the product numbers are often different. Made in China is also not uncommon for Philips branded products.

Another thought:
External 2,5" HDDs without additional PSU violate the USB specs since they draw much more power (~1000 mA on spinup) than allowed (500 mA max). It often works, but with some motherboards it just won’t.

Michael

What does "Computer Management > Disk Management " show?