Drive will not write, unless secondary drive is present (Pioneer DVR-105 / DVR-A05)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-105 / DVR-A05. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I recently worked on a woman’s computer, long story short – her CD-ROM drive was junk, so knowing that she probably couldn’t afford a new one I took the second drive (which I never used) out of my PC and put it in her computer and sent it home with her.

It seems that without that secondary drive installed my DVD recorder (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105) will not burn anything.

It goes through the ritual (noise, lights, etc.) and appears to be burning, but afterwards the disc remains blank.

Did some searching (on this forum) and learned that it was probably a jumper issue, so I looked at the drive and the jumper is set on ‘master’ it is also on the ribbon labeled master. I changed the jumper to ‘cable select’, but it made no difference.

Keep in mind that it worked fine with the 2nd drive present. Any more ideas?

Maybe the IDE cable is not seated properly in the motherboard or needs replacing.

[QUOTE=dec0010;2161104][qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-105 / DVR-A05. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I recently worked on a woman’s computer, long story short – her CD-ROM drive was junk, so knowing that she probably couldn’t afford a new one I took the second drive (which I never used) out of my PC and put it in her computer and sent it home with her.

It seems that without that secondary drive installed my DVD recorder (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105) will not burn anything.

It goes through the ritual (noise, lights, etc.) and appears to be burning, but afterwards the disc remains blank.

Did some searching (on this forum) and learned that it was probably a jumper issue, so I looked at the drive and the jumper is set on ‘master’ it is also on the ribbon labeled master. I changed the jumper to ‘cable select’, but it made no difference.

Keep in mind that it worked fine with the 2nd drive present. Any more ideas?[/QUOTE]

Does the BIOS see the drive? What kinda cable is it a 40 or 80 pin?? Sounds like it has the incorrect cable that isn’t 80 pin cable. Usually sometimes you don’t need to set the jumper if it is the only drive and sometimes you do in the case of your setting the jumper to master. But I would definitely check the cable to see if it is 80 pin. What kinda software you using to burn?

problem solved when I connected the drive with the ‘slave’ ribbon (jumper remains at CS)

thanks for your time and responses