Drive Testing Utility

Is there a Windows utility that will allow me to do DVD drive testing like memtest86 tests memory?

Try with Nero cd dvd speed.

Yes, with Nero CD-DVD Speed, you can test to make sure your drive is writing properly, reading properly, etc.

[QUOTE=Albert;1966617]Yes, with Nero CD-DVD Speed, you can test to make sure your drive is writing properly, reading properly, etc.[/QUOTE]

Which tests do you recommend? I just did a “Create Disc” and a “Disc Quality”, but I don’t see how that tests the drive versus testing the media. I assume that the tests you’d recommend are under “Run Test”. If so, how can I tell that the drive is accurately writing data to and reading data from the drive?

The tests under CD-DVD speed are usually tabbed once you open the program.

1. Benchmark > for the transfer rate test, which will test the burst rate to your writer (included by default) and let you know how many mb/s the rate is to the writer during the test. If this rate is lower than the writer should receive, then you know there may be some kind of problem. Also, the Transfer Rate Test (TRT for short) will tell you if the recorded data to the CD/DVD is read smoothly up to the highest read speed tested for each media piece. If the graph is a smooth upward line, then it tells you the media has no trouble being read up to the highest speed it reaches; if there’s a big dip downward @ any point, then that indicates some kind of read problem

2. Disc Quality > lets the writer ‘read the errors’ from the burn, such as PIE and PIF, and jitter for the disc as recorded on it.

The tests that Quema suggested should work well. [quote=Quema34;1966728]2) Disc Quality > lets the writer ‘read the errors’ from the burn, such as PIE and PIF, and jitter for the disc as recorded on it.[/quote]Don’t be alarmed if your drive doesn’t support this function though.

To answer your question: yes, it would test the media. This is why you ensure that any slowdowns or issues aren’t related to the media by getting a known good disc that works fine universally. :iagree: If you don’t take out the variable of having a bad disc, you can end up blaming the wrong thing for any problems.