Drive Replacement For LVW-5007

vbimport

I have seen some threads discussing different brands of drive for the LVW-5005 & LVW-5006.

Mine is LVW-5007A. Can’t find much info on this recorder. Anyway, my drive tray refuses to open. I hear a noise (not real load) when I hit the eject button but the tray does not open.

Anyway, what brand/models of dvd drives can I use to replace the one I have in there? I have built a few computers in the past so I am assuming (always dangerous) that it should not be too hard to install one right?

See http://club.myce.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/ for replacement drives for 5xxx recorders which includes the 5007. See http://club.myce.com/f102/shw-160p6s-lvw-5005-success-165085/ for excellent how to do the replacement including helpful photos. Note not all drives that have been successful replacements are listed in the first post of the first link in this post, and you need to read through the thread to find others such as the Benq DW-1620 and NEC ND-3220A for examples.

The How-to for the 5007 is here; one thing I need to add is that you can secure the drive by putting screws in from the bottom of the case through the mounting holes.

If your current drive doesn’t have a metal bracket around it, you can probably get the tray open by taking off the top plastic cover to get at the mechanism. (It’s likely that it’s not opening because of a deteriorated rubber belt.) It’ll be more difficult to do a clean replacement if you can’t get the tray to open.

I’ve had the best luck in general with the earlier Liteon drives as replacements; I like the 1633S and had trouble with a 1693S and a 165P6S (which also tends to have belt problems). But all of these earlier drives are hard to find now, of course.

Also, you can easily try out a drive just by plopping it on top of the bad drive and hooking it up to the power and IDE cable. Remember to unplug the unit first or you risk blowing the fuse (or worse) - the power supply is always on when it’s plugged in.

Thanks for the info. I did finally find the guide you pointed me to and read it thru. I can not find any older drives that can be used for the 5007.
This kind of ticks me off because this thing was purchased new and I problaby burned less than 5 discs total. Also used it lightly to watch movies.
I guess if I can find a compatable drive I may just leave it as an external drive so I dont have to hack away at the hd case to make it fit. Is the rubber ring you mentioned available for purchase? I havent cracked the case yet so I am not sure if that is the problem.

You can get a replacement belt from MCM Electronics or some other places, but you’d have to measure the old one first. However if you use the unit a lot the drive is likely to fail in some other fashion :slight_smile: .

An external drive is certainly workable.

[QUOTE=afecu;2492494]You can get a replacement belt from MCM Electronics or some other places, but you’d have to measure the old one first. However if you use the unit a lot the drive is likely to fail in some other fashion :slight_smile: .

An external drive is certainly workable.[/QUOTE]

Are all liteon RVD recorders pretty much junk or do all brands have these issues? This is the first one I bought and thought I was buying a decent one. I know I wont be buying another one…

I don’t have experience with other brands but I understand there are drawbacks to many of them. One advantage to the Liteons is that you can easily patch the firmware to disable the protection which can prevent you from copying video tapes (even when it should not).

Anyway, Liteon is out of this business now…

FYI there’s a Benq DW-1620 at the second link in post #3470 at http://club.myce.com/f92/benq-dvd-writer-vanishing-192997/index139.html. It’s a bit pricey for that old of a model IMO at $40 plus $15 shipping, but it should be a fully functional replacement burner.