Drive Region Code and AnyDVD

Hello,

Am a newbie to AnyDVD. I installed the latest version 6.5.2.2

My DVD-RW Drive is Samsung: TSSTCORP CDDVDW SH-S203D with F/W SB01

So, far there were no region code changes for my drive as I don’t use it to play DVD Movies. So 5 Changes were available in Device Manager.

I inserted my WALLE Bonus DVD to give a shot at backing it up. The Disc is marked for Region 3.

So, I changed the AnyDVD setting to emulate Region 3 and I inserted the disc in the drive. After a couple of drive led blinking and other activities the disc got detected and AnyDVD displayed the Info as follows:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.5.2.2)
TSSTCORP CDDVDW SH-S203D SB01 0423
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2064576 sectors (4032 MBytes)
Total size: 4059664 sectors (7929 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: WALLE_BONUS
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 3 4 5 6!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 5 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 3!

The Movie playing fine.

Out of curiosity I checked the Device Manager and found that the Region code was changed to Region 3 and now only 4 changes are left.

I thought AnyDVD was to prevent this. Is this the case or am I missing something?

What went wrong? I have Windows XP SP2 with all latest patches installed. (Haven’t hopped on to SP3 due to some forums talking about some issues).

Please help me as I seem lost.

[QUOTE=darshanjog;2220064]Hello,

Am a newbie to AnyDVD. I installed the latest version 6.5.2.2

My DVD-RW Drive is Samsung: TSSTCORP CDDVDW SH-S203D with F/W SB01

So, far there were no region code changes for my drive as I don’t use it to play DVD Movies. So 5 Changes were available in Device Manager.

I inserted my WALLE Bonus DVD to give a shot at backing it up. The Disc is marked for Region 3.

So, I changed the AnyDVD setting to emulate Region 3 and I inserted the disc in the drive. After a couple of drive led blinking and other activities the disc got detected and AnyDVD displayed the Info as follows:

The Movie playing fine.

Out of curiosity I checked the Device Manager and found that the Region code was changed to Region 3 and now only 4 changes are left.

I thought AnyDVD was to prevent this. Is this the case or am I missing something?

What went wrong? I have Windows XP SP2 with all latest patches installed. (Haven’t hopped on to SP3 due to some forums talking about some issues).

Please help me as I seem lost.[/QUOTE]

First off what was your original Region? As to SP3 problem I have it with all the latest patches and have no problem so unless you had something they had problem with the AMD or Intel CPU I can’t remember was the main gripe people had but other then that patch it should work fine. Is your burner FW the latest or not? Sometimes if you flash the firmware to the latest it should revert back to the default FW for your region and give you back the 5 changes settings again. But look at the burner site to see about that. But from what it looks you did make sure you didn’t change the region settings from device manage??? I haven’t heard of Anydvd doing such a thing to change the Device itself own region settings…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2220068]First off what was your original Region? As to SP3 problem I have it with all the latest patches and have no problem so unless you had something they had problem with the AMD or Intel CPU I can’t remember was the main gripe people had but other then that patch it should work fine. Is your burner FW the latest or not? Sometimes if you flash the firmware to the latest it should revert back to the default FW for your region and give you back the 5 changes settings again. But look at the burner site to see about that. But from what it looks you did make sure you didn’t change the region settings from device manage??? I haven’t heard of Anydvd doing such a thing to change the Device itself own region settings…[/QUOTE]
As I have already mentioned above there was no region SET on the Drive as I had NOT inserted any Region Coded DVD as yet.

SP3 - I only mentioned it as additional info. I don’t think it that much relevant with the problem.

Yes, SB01 is the latest firmware for my SH-S203D Sammy.

Nope. I checked Device Manager before inserting the DVD. There were 5 Changes available and NO Region Set.

After inserting the DVD and processing by AnyDVD - Region was Set to Region 3 and 4 changes now remain in Device Manager.

Yeah that a weird if Anydvd is doing that but I have to wait and see if someone else knows more about this Region change affecting the device manager region settings. I have my device burner on region 0 and Anydvd emulate Region 1. But since I haven’t gotten any Region 3 dvd I don’t know why it did what it did. If anyone else experienced this would be helpful to know??? Only think I could think of is to change your Region back to Region 1 and try to see if it will read the Original Region 3 media. I had always thought with AnyDVD running it would allow any Region media to be copied or played without changing your Region settings??

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2220085]Yeah that a weird if Anydvd is doing that but I have to wait and see if someone else knows more about this Region change affecting the device manager region settings. I have my device burner on region 0 and Anydvd emulate Region 1. But since I haven’t gotten any Region 3 dvd I don’t know why it did what it did. If anyone else experienced this would be helpful to know??? Only think I could think of is to change your Region back to Region 1 and try to see if it will read the Original Region 3 media. I had always thought with AnyDVD running it would allow any Region media to be copied or played without changing your Region settings??[/QUOTE]
I flashed a patched firmware to my sammy and now it is Region Free. So, I checked Device Manager and there was no “DVD Region” Page in properties. So, I thought it’s done.

I inserted the WALLE DVD again and this time I had selected AnyDVD to emulate Region 5 (as this disc is also playable in this region).

After a couple of mins when AnyDVD analysed the disc. It became playable but, the Device Manager now shows DVD Region Page in Properties and Region 5 is set and again 4 changes are remaining.

But, the Info displayed by AnyDVD shows that the Drive is Region Free

Here is the info:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.5.2.2)
TSSTCORP CDDVDW SH-S203D SB01 0423
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2064576 sectors (4032 MBytes)
Total size: 4059664 sectors (7929 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: WALLE_BONUS
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 3 4 5 6!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 5 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 5!