Drive Region Change by DVD DECRYPTER

While working with DVD DECRYPTER yesterday a window appeared stating that possible region protection was detected. It asked me to select the region which was listed on the dvd cover. At the bottom it stated that this would not effect my drive region settings. It only gave me an OK button so with that supplied information I ensured that region 1 was selected and clicked OK. IT LIED!!! After working with DVD DECRYPTER I checked and sure enough the drive which I was using was changed from 0 (not set) to Region 1. I realize that I still have 4 more changes to this drive allowed but I am concerned that in the future changes will be made to my drive with this program without my knowledge.
What happens if I am working with a DVD that has more than one region selection, but is not region free, will this once again change my drive region setting?
As this drive is only about 6 months old, how do I reset the drive after all of the 5 changes are made, and no further changes will be allowed?
I appreciate your assistance in this matter. It is true that To my knowledge I will only be working with Region 1 or Region Free discs, but I am concerned non the less.
Randal

DVD Decrypter changed the region of your DVD, not your DVD burner. You should still have your 4 resets available. If you would have selected 0 (zero) then your backup would have been region free. Also DVDD is very outdated and should be replaced with DVDFab HD Decrypter for your ripping.

[QUOTE=Randal;1935886]While working with DVD DECRYPTER yesterday a window appeared stating that possible region protection was detected. It asked me to select the region which was listed on the dvd cover. At the bottom it stated that this would not effect my drive region settings. It only gave me an OK button so with that supplied information I ensured that region 1 was selected and clicked OK. IT LIED!!! After working with DVD DECRYPTER I checked and sure enough the drive which I was using was changed from 0 (not set) to Region 1. I realize that I still have 4 more changes to this drive allowed but I am concerned that in the future changes will be made to my drive with this program without my knowledge.
What happens if I am working with a DVD that has more than one region selection, but is not region free, will this once again change my drive region setting?
As this drive is only about 6 months old, how do I reset the drive after all of the 5 changes are made, and no further changes will be allowed?
I appreciate your assistance in this matter. It is true that To my knowledge I will only be working with Region 1 or Region Free discs, but I am concerned non the less.
Randal[/QUOTE]

Dont nag about a tool when you have made a mistake…

Playing a movie when the drive has no region set would make the player set it to that region without telling you. It can even happen when just booting the OS with a region coded disc in the drive. I can however assure that my old prog wouldn’t have done it.

[QUOTE=Randal;1935886]While working with DVD DECRYPTER yesterday a window appeared stating that possible region protection was detected. It asked me to select the region which was listed on the dvd cover. At the bottom it stated that this would not effect my drive region settings. It only gave me an OK button so with that supplied information I ensured that region 1 was selected and clicked OK. IT LIED!!! After working with DVD DECRYPTER I checked and sure enough the drive which I was using was changed from 0 (not set) to Region 1. I realize that I still have 4 more changes to this drive allowed but I am concerned that in the future changes will be made to my drive with this program without my knowledge.
Randal[/QUOTE]

As everyone else here has said it’s definitely not DVD Decrypter that caused your problem.

With regard to solving it though, for some drives you can get software to reset the count or even make the drive permanently region free.

Resetting the count is in my mind unreliable though and you’d be better flashing your drive with region free firmware if it’s available.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thank you all for responding. I am now convinced that it was not an issue with DVD Decrypter based on your assistance, and the explaination by Lightning UK, whom I believe is the author of the program. [B][U]I am however perplexed by Chef’s response which I found to be condescending, insulting, and unhelpful in general[/U][/B]. As DVD Decrypter did not offer Region 0 as a selection in the window which poped up asking me to specify which region the disc was coded for I do not see where I made a mistake. Possibly explaining this error to me would have made his post both friendly and helpful.
Randal

[QUOTE=Randal;1937105] As DVD Decrypter did not offer Region 0 as a selection in the window which poped up asking me to specify which region the disc was coded for I do not see where I made a mistake. Possibly explaining this error to me would have made his post both friendly and helpful.
Randal[/QUOTE]

When a disc has RCE protection the software is unable to discover the true region of the disc.

DVD Decrypter then has to ask what region the disc actually is.

The answer to this is never 0 because if the disc was region free DVD Decrypter wouldn’t need to ask in the first place.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Randal;1937105]Thank you all for responding. I am now convinced that it was not an issue with DVD Decrypter based on your assistance, and the explaination by Lightning UK, whom I believe is the author of the program. [B][U]I am however perplexed by Chef’s response which I found to be condescending, insulting, and unhelpful in general[/U][/B]. As DVD Decrypter did not offer Region 0 as a selection in the window which poped up asking me to specify which region the disc was coded for I do not see where I made a mistake. Possibly explaining this error to me would have made his post both friendly and helpful.
Randal[/QUOTE]

IMO, actually you should re-read your post and ask yourself WHO was insulting WHO. :doh:
My post was insulting? Oh well…

Fogive me if I’ve given incorrect advice to set the Region to zero as I’ve not used this program in ages…I might have to blow the dust off of it and see for myself. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all of the kind and helpful replies.
Randal