Drive recommendation for reading old CDs/DVDs

I have quite a few old family VCDs and DVDs which I would like to rip and save.
I bought an external Rioddas DVD drive but it is unable to read several of the VCDs.

What is the best drive I can buy for reading troublesome CDs and DVDs?

I bought two Pioneer (internal PC) optical format burners new years ago. BDR-206 & BDR-209 that are old but still work like new. The 206 doesn’t do anything to write speeds. Both can read some pretty flaky disks. Check ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=pioneer+internal+blu-ray&_sacat=0
Jeff

Thanks for the response.

Any other recommendations?

The problem might be the optical drive.
It also can be the OS.
Even more so if Windows 10.
I have even ran into some DVDs that were from a standalone player/recorder burn that Windows 7 or Vista couldn’t even view in Windows Explorer.
Windows XP could.
I would get ISOBuster .
It used to have a trial version & probably still does.
See if it can view & maybe rip your VCDs & DVDs.
Other than that you may need to borrow an old computer with an old OS & drives.
If you can.

As COT mentioned, ISOBUSTER should help.
This link also has the answers as well: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356342-Are-there-no-Blu-Ray-players-that-will-play-VCD-SVCD

Since DVD/Bluray drives have been out to the public & available, I have NEVER had ANY of them refuse to read CDs or VCD/SVCD. Could be that you have a broken optical drive as well.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I have bought a license to IsoBuster.
Looks like my issue is flaky old discs.

I have a bought a LG external DVD r/w drive also. If this does not work out I will buy an internal Pioneer drive on ebay.

IsoBuster linked me to an article that mentioned using Brasso is a very popular way to restore some flaky discs! Will try that also shortly.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

There are a couple of other things that might help.
External enclosures have different chips that connect to the optical drive & then the USB to the computer…Some chips don’t work with all disks or the methods or writing to a certain type disk or certain formats.
That could be the problem with the enclosures you have your optical drive in.

The second is the codes on very old disks.
A new or newer drive may not recognize the very old disk at all.

You may have to go used enclosures & optical drives from ebay.
It may take a few to find a set that works.

I would stay away from SYBA enclosures.
Vantec Nexstar has been good for me but I don’t have any VCDs to test with.
It has a SATA BD drive in it so might not read the old CD with the VCD written to it.

I would try to get an old IDE drive & enclosure for that.

Last if the VCDs are just movies the quality will look poor an a wide screen TV.
If they are personal family videos they are probably worth the extra effort.