Drive not recognizing burnable discs

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR - 215D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Pioneer DVR 215D

XP Pro SP3

The drive works excellent in that it loads up anything I put in it, be it a game or presentation cd whathaveyou. However, over the last several days, whenever I try to put a burnable dvd in the drive, the drive changes itself in My Computer from a DVD drive to saying that it is a cd drive with a dvd inserted, so my burning programs don’t recognize that there is a burnable disc inserted, when I take out the disc and put in something like a game, the drive goes back to working flawlessly.

I have tried TDK’s, Memorex and Prism discs, all of which I have used successfully in the drive in the past, no change.

I had Deamon Tools installed, but I’ve had it installed for months with no problems, I uninstalled it just in case it was conflicting with my real drives, didn’t fix the problem.

I’ve tried a firmware update, which didn’t take, at least I can see no difference in the firmware version after running the installer

I’ve tried tips from another troubleshooting site, in which I deleted the registry entries dealing with the drive and allowed windows to recreate them, didn’t fix the problem…at this point I’m stumped.

I had this problem many many months ago, and for the life of me I can’t remember how I fixed it, or if I even fixed it at all and it just went back to normal on its own. Any help you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.

This is NORMAL windooze explorer behaviour.