Drive Letter Frustration. Help please

I have a USB Liteon 451 external DVD drive which XP has recently re-assigned as drive J: when it used to be (and I still need it to be) drive G:.

My drives are 1) C: HD (IDE) 2) D: HD (SATA) 3) E: HD (SATA) 4) F: DVD Internal Burner (IDE) 5) H: HD (IDE on Promise Raid controller) 6) I: HD (IDE) 7) J: DVD External Burner (USB)
Theres no Drive G:

There are two possible causes for the changed drive letter that I can think of:

1. Change of firmware (CG5J) on the USB DVD? (Done it loads of times and its never happened before.)

2. I installed and then uninstalled Daemon Tools but forgot to change “number of virtual drives” to 0 (ie: Disabled). I have since repeated the process correctly.

My problem is that I can find no way in XP to change the USB drive back to G: I can re-assign all my other drives Via Computer Management/Disk Management but not the USB Drive. Explorer wont even let me Rename it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the error you get when re-assigning drive letters?

Oops! Actually I’ve fixed it but thanks for the reply. I’d like to be able to say that I had rebuilt the registry by running several self coded routines etc etc. Unfortunately the truth is that I had failed to fully scroll down the list of drives in Disk Management and the two DVD’s were just hidden below!