Drive LED's Question

vbimport

Hi all,

I have a Plextor716A/SW Burner and an ASUS CB-5216A Combo drive, and although the drives work fine, the Drive LED indicator lights stay on whenever I put a disk in, even if it is not being read at the moment, the light remains on. (They do infact blink when reading disks). Or have the lights on some drives changed to a “cd is present” status light as well? This is probably a dumb question, but I’ve not yet found an answer. I’m sure nothing is wrong with the drives because they are both fairly new and performing fine. Could this also have to do with a setting on my mobo, or the way it is originally manufactured? (I have an MSI K7N2Delta2-LSR Socket A board.)
Thanks

Erik

A long time ago I saw some drives with “always lighting” LED :). In all cases I was more than sure, that this is the specific of concrete model… Probably it is so :slight_smile:

Thanks, I figured it was just a way of it being to show whether a disk was in or not. Just wanted to see if other’s having the PX-716A/SW have this as well.

It’s perfectly normal :slight_smile:

For what that is concerned, I really like the old Plextor SCSI burners, as they had 4 LEDs on them (2 for speed, 1 for power and 1 for activity). That was pretty cool :slight_smile:

Wow, really? Its kinda weird how old scsi interface is, and it never really seemed to take off. Maybe for businesses, but for home comps we got sata II and EIDE. So I wonder where SCSI will try to invade next. Where the Plextor SCSI Burners fast? Or just fast for the “times”. SCSI Hard drives are still very expensive…

Well… at first, there only were SCSI burners. When the first IDE ones came (2x!) it was both a relieve and a problem at once. As there was no such thing as buffer underrun protection, IDE drives suffered way more of this problem than SCSI drives. With standard systems back then (let’s say 300Mhz PII systems), clicking the start menu while burning a disc at 4x would most likely end up in a buffer underrun. SCSI drives also had this issue, but allowed the computer to be used while burning. Okay, too much harddrive or CPU activity would end up in a buffer underrun, but it allowed light usage. I could play Unreal while burning at 4x using my SCSI burner (reading from a SCSI CDROM) on my P2 system.
Also, new (faster) drives were first released for SCSI systems and later on for IDE systems. Besides that, Plextor offered a 40x SCSI CDROM drive back then that just couldn’t get beat by any other CDROM (as a matter of fact, it never got beaten!).
So SCSI had some nice advantages:

• hardly any use of the system CPU when active
  • no IDE problems like bus interleaving
  • saving IDE ports for cheap harddrives
  • newest drives with nicest features (like BurnProof)
  • allowed many drives on one controller (I had 4 SCSI burners and 2 SCSI CDROMS on a single controller card)
    The only bad thing was the price…

Thanks! Good info Dee-ehn. Just goes to show u that Plextor has stayed pioneering over the years :wink:

Well… euh…somewhat. Not like they used to do…

@Dee-ehn, we still have and old plextor SCSI at work with 4 leds :slight_smile:

those good old times… I still have two as well but they don’t write anymore…