Drive Keeps Maintaining Contents from last disk

Ok, I started off with a pos Philips drive from Dell which they replaced (with another Philips drive)… long ago…

Problem: I’m trying to go through every disk I have and see what’s really on them. Very often, when I remove one disk and put in another (can be CD or DVD) and go and open the drive back up it still shows me what was on the previous disk… GRRRR

Only way I can get it to stop showing me those contents (which are just there in RAM, I can’t actually copy them or anything) is to reboot…

I just replaced that Philips with a Pioneer and it seems to work a little better reading wise but it’s still doing it??

Anyone ever seen this issue and have a resolution?

Thanks!!!

Yes have seen this before, don’t know what the resolution is, but to save time I just “log off” and log back in again rather than having to reboot. Just a little quicker.

Most problems related to optical drives on Dell computers are from conflicts with Sonic DLA. You might want to consider uninstalling that.

Could be Auto Insert Notification is not enabled. Best way to check/change is with DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn. That’ll be Tools,Settings,Device.

All you need to do is open Explorer and hit F5.

This will not always help!

Man, this is still happening… The F5 thing works but only if I go into “Explore”, right click and say “eject” then as I put it back in hit F5 a bunch of times…

Then it may give me the new content of the actual CD/DVD in the drive but will still keep the name of the last CD/DVD that was in there…

It’s like it’s some sort of caching going on or something…

If both media have the same id/me, it can happen that the content is not updated regardless if you hit F5 thousand times or not…
Maybe Auto-Insert-Notification is off.

No it has nothing to do with [B] Auto-Insert-Notification [/B] It’s a fault in the XP registry and happens quite often! There is a few ways to fix it, but it’s quite messy and have to edit the registry, It’s been a wile the last time I had to fix it and I’m not on a XP box to check the exact REG_DWORD that has to be changed. The easiest way to fix it is to use the patch M$ has for it to fix the problem and if you use [B] Search [/B]you can find a link to it in this forum, It has been talked about a few months ago and some body posted a link to the patch! When you run the patch it will change to registry and add in the correct REG_DWORD and after a reboot everything is back to normal. :slight_smile:

Ok, I did a search and found where a patch to fix some DMA problems were fixed through some registry stuff for XP SP1… Could that be what you’re referring to?

Gona poke around and see what mine is set to… Doesn’t mention my exact problem but it does however mention that they were having probs after a cumulative number of Cyclic Redundancy Errors of which I’ve had quite a few…

hmmm, that can’t be it… Looks like SP2 already sets the MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed to ffffffff…

No that’s not it, it has nothing to do with DMA! I will try and find the link or try and remember the registry hack to fix it and let you know.

Do you know a key word I could search for? I can search for it…

Currently searching through all your old posts to see if something jumps out at me…

Thanks! :slight_smile: