Drive issues (hope this helps)

Hopefully someone here can help me with this, as I have tried everything. I have an older gateway desktop, and I’ve been having some issues with my internal DVD drive (hitachi gd 8000) and my external DVD-R drive (sony DRU-510A). A week ago all my cd/dvd drives disapeared from “my computer”. I uninstalled the drives and rebooted because they were showing up as installed just not connected in my device manager. I rebooted and the drives came back up. I tried a cd and it worked so I just figured it was fixed until I tried to play a DVD today. Even though it calls itself a dvd drive, when i put in a dvd it cant read it. When I check the device properties it is listed as a cd drive. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix this, and ive looked around quite a bit. Im running winxp and am having this problem with both of my dvd drives. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Welcome to CDFreaks;

Try to restore your system (Windows) back to two weeks ago before this problem first surfaced then reboot your computer and try to use your drives to see if the problem gone away. I hope this would help.

Thanks, but unfortunately my computer doesn’t seem to be able to set a restore point properly. It’s never been able to. At this point I’d just like to see if anyone else has even had this problem, as I can’t even find another complaint about it anywhere. Thanks again though, I’ll keep trying to fix.