Drive Image 7 and Net framework

vbimport

I am considering using Drive Image7 to make a backup of my drive with Operating System (win 2000) and programs, updates drivers etc… in case of a disaster. I understand that netframework needs to be installed. Anyone use this program and have netframework installed ? Any conflicts with ripping burning software ?

i have not used drive image in long time cause you have to swap disks alot …I use ghost and I love it … it will burn straight to burner and if you know ghost dos commands good you can make a bootup disk that loads back and you dont have to do anyting but put in new disks …

ghost 2003 is what i use and works fine for me …i have backup all operating systems and restored …

cheers …

cause you have to swap disks alot

??? there’s no “disc swapping”

nmpaulcp:
Get a copy of DriveImage 2002, it’ll do anything you need. The DOS version is still the most reliable, and even D.I. 7 uses the 2002 DOS program. Version 2002 is fully automated, can be scheduled via Windows task scheduler, and supports all current RAID controllers. D.I.-7 is still very much a beta.

yeah drive image 2003 u have to swap the first disk and last and so one …I was shocked …usually you dont …

kinda like anconis true image …you have to put in first disc and then last and and then back in order …

I never write an image direct to CDR, it’s too slow and if it gets messed up you have to start over. I can write it to HD, then burn to CDR in less time and with 100% success. Drive Image writes the image at night on a schedule, then I burn it later. No doubt, D.I.7 is pretty bloated and cumbersome.
Anyway, what is this Netframework stuff?

ghost writes straight to cd r real quick … i love it … only program i use anymore

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I never write an image direct to CDR, it’s too slow and if it gets messed up you have to start over. I can write it to HD, then burn to CDR in less time and with 100% success. Drive Image writes the image at night on a schedule, then I burn it later. No doubt, D.I.7 is pretty bloated and cumbersome.
Anyway, what is this Netframework stuff?

I know nothing about it but I read that it needs to be installed in order for DI7 to run.

From microsoft downloads:
The .NET Framework is a component of the Windows operating system. For developers, the .NET Framework makes it easy to rapidly create powerful software that maximizes performance, scalability, opportunities for integration, reliability, security, and the end-user experience, while minimizing the costs of deployment and management.

Windows users need to install the .NET Framework to run applications developed using the .NET Framework.
This release includes a number of enhancements over version 1.0 of the .NET Framework. Installing this release is a prerequisite for running applications developed using the .NET Framework 1.1. For more information about .NET Framework, see .NET Framework Home. (This site may be in English.)

Maybe someone who knows more about this Net thing will get on here and report, but it sounds very suspicious to me. More bloated MS spyware?

well only time i have heard of .net framework is working in visual basic but i admit I dont know much about it at all … but yes when the developers at our company work the use visual basic and it says net frame work but alias taht is all I know … which is not too much cause i am not a programmer

the .net framework is part of microsofts initiative to make programs able to be written in different languages, and work together. you can compile with lots of different languages, and have it work out in the end. the problem is, to run a program written in .net, you must install ms’s .net framework, as you have discovered.

//found all this out with overnet

For what it’s worth, here’s the MS version of the story:

I use it and it works fine so far.
Creating an image from my C: drive (OS drive) from within Windows is a piece of cake.

I write the image to a separate hard drive.

Everything works fine, as far as I can tell.

What I have not yet figyred out, is how to restore the image if my OS drive crashes and I cannot get into windows.

I downloaded the software, so I don’t have a CD. The help files keep referring to a ‘PowerQuest Drive Image CD’, which is supposed to be bootable, but nowhere does it say how to make one. Am I missing something, or do I need the original install CD?

You have to make the rescue floppies, so you can run the proggie from the floppy. I keep a small FAT partition on the main drive with all my DOS stuff on it, and a copy of the rescue floppy. Then I can just boot to any Win98 floppy and run “PQDI.exe” from the HD.
I highly recommend that you verify your image and do a restore from each of the possibly OS routes, so you “know” it works. The image does you very little good if you can’t restore it from DOS.

You mean rescue floppies using Drive Image? Or WinXP rescue floppies?
In Drive Image 7 I have not found any indication of floppies…

In the start-programs-powerquest menu, there should be a link for creating rescue floppies. At least there is in every other version. You might check the manual. It used to be part of the install process too.

I know.
DriveImage 5 had floppies (it prompted you to create them during the install).
I never got that prompt from DriveImage 7.
Weird…

I can assure you that it’s in there somewhere, it’s covered in the documentation. The floppy will have a the same program as version 2002. (which is what gets installed in Win98)

Ok Thanks,
I’ll go over the user guide again, this time with a magnifying glass.:bigsmile:

A search of the KB at Powerquest is quicker.

Thanks again for your help.:smiley: