Drive health checker?

Is there a program that checks the health of an optical drive (dvd burner)?

Try to test it with CD-DVD Speed.

You can run a lot of tests with this software :slight_smile:

Goit
refer to your other post, your question was answered there.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=geno888;1927402]Try to test it with CD-DVD Speed.

You can run a lot of tests with this software :)[/QUOTE]

So if it shows very small number of errors then it’s good?

[QUOTE=Goit;1927498]So if it shows very small number of errors then it’s good?[/QUOTE]

Probably you are confusing the burned discs quality test with the drive health.

What do you want to do exactly?

[QUOTE=Goit;1926949]Is there a program that checks the [B]health of an optical drive (dvd burner)?[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL

HOW would you do that??

[QUOTE=geno888;1927545]Probably you are confusing the burned discs quality test with the drive health.

What do you want to do exactly?[/QUOTE]

I’m trying to check what health is the Burner in, not the media.

So if there are few errors, then it should mean that the drive is capable of reading and writing?

[QUOTE=Goit;1927640][B]I’m trying to check what health is the Burner[/B] in, not the media.

So if there are few errors, then it should mean that the drive is capable of reading and writing?[/QUOTE]

You cannot, easy thing.

[quote=Goit;1927640]I’m trying to check what health is the Burner in, not the media.

So if there are few errors, then it should mean that the drive is capable of reading and writing?[/quote]The media quality is the most likely source of variability. Burners either work; or they don’t.

I don’t think there’s any tool that will check the health of a drive - it’s far to complicated a thing to determine without running lots of tests and then having a real human interpret those tests.

[quote=imkidd57;1927659]Burners either work; or they don’t.[/quote] I beg to differ - a drive could be going bad for a while and start by occasionally create bad burns and then get worse and worse. Reading could also slowly be getting worse instead of failing suddenly.

E.g. like my Plextor PX-712A drive. :frowning:

This could e.g. be because the laser is dying, but there are other posible reasons for drives going bad without dying all at once such as perhaps smoke sticking to the lens over time, and normal wear and tear degrading drive mechanics.

OK maybe I should have said: they either [I][B]appear[/B][/I] to work, or they don’t.

Without a tool to check the burner, how do you tell whether it’s the drive or the media that’s faulty?

[quote=imkidd57;1927702]Without a tool to check the burner, how do you tell whether it’s the drive or the media that’s faulty?[/quote] How does a doctor tell if a patient is healthy or not?

The answer is not something that can be explained in a post - it’s something that takes years to learn.

Testing a drive to see whether there’s somethig wrong with the drive or with the media or with both, is simpler than determining the health of a patient, but it’s still far too complicated to be explained within a reasonable time.

It would involve testing the same media burned in different drives and then reading them in different drives, and see if there’s any pattern that shows if there are problems writing or reading the media, and if it’s related only to some or all drives, and whether it’s a reading or writing problem.

There’s also lots of other stuff to test such as whether audio extraction is working, whether specific drive settings such as SolidBurn, HyperTuning etc. has an unexpected impact on the function of the drive.

It has sometimes taken me weeks to discover that a drive has some esoteric problem that I didn’t think to test right away or even expected could be a problem.

Can’t argue with that :). Thanks for the explanation, Dragemester! :bow: :flower:

Just to add…my LG 4163B (RIP :sad: ) created excellent burns for a year or two, then gradually deteriorated to the point where I could only get decent burns at 8x.

Hi :slight_smile:
Sony did have a ‘Drive Checker’.
It would tell you if the drive was OK. (Worked with several other makes too).
This basically meant that the drive worked. Read Write etc.
But in reality, this did not show how well it was actually functioning.
Simply that it was.
So this left tests with media.
Hence the lack of this utilies presence.

are you sure?

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/diagnostics.htm

[quote=troy512;1927881]are you sure?

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/diagnostics.htm[/quote] That looks like a useful tool for initial testing of a drive.

The tool only tests a small fraction of what can go wrong with a drive, and it doesn’t take into account that problems encountered could be due to defective or incompatible media instead of being a drive health problem, so a lot more testing might have to be done to really know if the drive is OK.

Detecting that a drive is totally dead is easy and can be done quickly.

Detecting that everything is working as it should will take lots and lots of tests, however.

[QUOTE=troy512;1927881]are you sure?

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/diagnostics.htm[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Yes sorry, what I meant in this instance was “by lack of presence”.
Was its actual use & recommendations.
Not the lack of availability.
As I already said it merely tells you if the drive is working.
But not what state the drive is in, in terms of quality etc.
Which does have a limited use.
In my experience the drives in my care either work well or don’t work at all. (Have given the best of their capabilities for [however long]). :cool:

BTW:

The test is compatible [B]with all Sony CD-RW and DVD-+RW drives[/B] on a Windows platform. A blank CD-R or CD-RW (unformatted) can be used with the CDR/RW drives. A blank CDR, CDRW (unformatted), DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW (unformatted), or DVD+RW (unformatted) can be used with the DVD-+R/RW. NOTE***A formatted disc cannot be used.

agree:)