Drive does not recognize some DVDs (Samsung SH-S202J / TS-H652J)

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S202J / TS-H652J. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all,

Several months back, I picked up a new system during Newegg’s Black Friday sale. I haven’t had any major issues with it until recently when I tried burning a DVD for the first time. None of the programs that I’ve tried (Nero 7, Starburn and Imgburn so far) seem to be detecting discs. Vista x64 does not seem to be picking up on them either. The drive is an SH-S202J and the firmware is up to date.

Another thing that I noticed is that when I rebooted with a blank disc in is that it stalled during the boot process and did not continue until I ejected the drive. Not sure if that means much, but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

In addition to blank DVDs, some commercial discs appear to be having trouble as well. The trouble makers so far have been Oblivion: Knights of the Nine, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King and Fate: Undiscovered Realms. After two or three attempts at loading the DVD, the OS finally picks up on them and I can begin installing. About halfway through, I’ll receive an error that Securom could not verify the disc. Other games with Securom (ie, Fallout 3) installed and ran without a hitch…

From what I’ve researched, it seems like the kind of errors one would receive because of an ATIP hider. I did have Daemon Tools installed for a period, but not currently.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I’ll try to provide any additional information if it’s needed. At this point I’m about ready to raze the hard drive and buy a new burner…

Have you tried uninstalling the driver for the ODD and then rebooting?
You may have just got a bum drive. Newegg is very good about their RMAs, you may have to go that route.

[QUOTE=ferguj1;2238301]Have you tried uninstalling the driver for the ODD and then rebooting?
You may have just got a bum drive. Newegg is very good about their RMAs, you may have to go that route.[/QUOTE]

Well, I gave it a go, but the problem persists. Whenever I drop in a blank DVD, Vista will chug for about 60 seconds or so and then spit open the drive with a “Please insert disc” message.