Drive contents not refreshing in windows

I’ve had this problem now for about a year, and sadly cannot pinpoint what may have caused it. Whenever I boot my machine, whatever disc is in it at the time of boot is recognized, but after that, my CD drives refuse to acknowledge any change of media.

My first thoughts were that maybe I had installed an experimental aspi layer or something, but no luck fixing it by updating.

Has anyone seen/heard of this problem before?

I have two DVD burners installed and the problem affects them both identically one is a BenQ DW1640 and the other a Lite-On LH-20A1H.

Thank you for any help

[QUOTE=Quzar;2122589]I’ve had this problem now for about a year, and sadly cannot pinpoint what may have caused it. Whenever I boot my machine, whatever disc is in it at the time of boot is recognized, but after that, my CD drives refuse to acknowledge any change of media.

My first thoughts were that maybe I had installed an experimental aspi layer or something, but no luck fixing it by updating.

Has anyone seen/heard of this problem before?

I have two DVD burners installed and the problem affects them both identically one is a BenQ DW1640 and the other a Lite-On LH-20A1H.

Thank you for any help[/QUOTE]

We need more info as to what kinda O/S your using? And how updated is your firmware? What kinda burning programs you have installed? What kinda media your using as well.

I just had a new DVD recorder installed and now have the same problem…

Ah, good, I wasn’t sure what all information would be needed.
I’m on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 without any added hotfixes. The BenQ uses the BSRB firmware, and the Lite-On is on LL0C. I only have Nero 8.1.1.4 installed for burning.

The media isn’t affecting anything, as this isn’t a burning issue, it happens with any media: DVD-V, DVD-R/RW (blank and written), Audio CD, CD-R/RW (blank and written), CD+G, CD Extra, Dreamcast MIL-CDs, Neo Geo CDs, Turbo Graphx 16 CDs, the list goes on.

If I run a program that tries to read the media, such as EAC, Nero, or any program looking for it’s ‘run’ CD, it will generally be able to find it, but explorer won’t.

Lets see, what else? Both CD drives have had their firmware cross-flashed, but I made sure they were of the right type, and cross flashed them ages ago, before the problem started so I doubt that would be the problem.

Thank you.

Oh, also, I have a second boot OS of XP x64 in which the drives work fine, so I’m sure it’s not a firmware or pure hardware issue.

There was a similar issue discussed a few years ago. Maybe you can get some answers in this thread http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/how-re-enable-auto-insert-notification-windows-xp-133791/