Drive can read DVD but not CD

vbimport

i have the same problem with my laptop acer aspire 5742 dvd-rw drive which can read-write & boot only dvds. it cant read write or boot cd. i have:

1. uninstalled the driver with reboot.
  2. tried registry editing but have no filters in registry
  3. formatted the laptop with clean install windows 8 but of no help.
    can u tell me what might be the reason. by the way drive has single lens.
    not to mention before all that i have cleaned the lens!

[QUOTE=mypinklagoon;2668717]i have the same problem with my laptop acer aspire 5742 dvd-rw drive which can read-write & boot only dvds. it cant read write or boot cd. i have:

1. uninstalled the driver with reboot.
  2. tried registry editing but have no filters in registry
  3. formatted the laptop with clean install windows 8 but of no help.
    can u tell me what might be the reason. by the way drive has single lens.
    not to mention before all that i have cleaned the lens![/QUOTE]

Not to mention but did you look to see how old the posting date was? 2004??? That was like ages ago. And also your problem isn’t with the same hardware nor do we know exactly what the nature of the problem is to begin with. Starting a new thread about your specific drive hardware problem would help more considering how old this posting is. And no one problem is the same in hardware to hardware.

Just because your drive has what appears to be one lens, doesn’t mean that it uses the same hardware for dvds as it does for cds. The laser frequencies are different for cds versus dvds, and that part of your drive may simply have failed.

If the drive won’t boot from a CD then the problem is outside of Windows.
That eliminates it being a Windows problem.
That leaves a drive or BIOS problem.
Since it will boot from a DVD the BIOS is recognizing the drive.
That leaves drive problem.
It might be dirty or bad contacts where the drive “plugs in” the laptop .
So you might try checking that but I’m going with failed drive .

[QUOTE=PaulJBis;751674]Hi all:

I have a Toshiba SD-M1502 DVD-ROM, which suddenly has stopped reading CDs: when I put one in, it will start spinning trying to read it, but eventually the light will just stay on, and Windows XP will say that it can’t read the contents of the disc (the filesystem is not compatible with Windows, or something like that). However, it can read DVDs, both movies and DVD-R data discs.

I am almost sure that it’s a hardware problem and not a Windows-related one, because I’ve tried to boot from it with a Linux CD, and it did the same thing: spinning, light staying on, etc. I haven’t upgraded the firmware recently either (I did so a couple of years ago to make it region free, but it’s been working since and it only started failing two days ago). I have also tried installing it as master and slave; neither worked.

From what I’ve seen in Google, the consensus seems to be that it’s indeed a hardware problem: the laser used for reading CDs (which is different than the one for reading DVDs) is failing, or something like that. My question is: could it be anything else? I just want to make sure before I write this drive off. If anyone else has experienced something similar, did it help to open the drive and clean the lens?[/QUOTE]

can you or do you have another dvd rom drive you can try in its place? if it reads both cd’s and dvd’s you know the drive is obviously the problem.

Moved posts to a new thread.

IMO, the drive is most likely defective and needs to be replaced. Would be good if the laptop were still covered by warranty.

Michael