Drilling hole into CD

Hi,

I have to compose a research article for school about CDs & DVDs and the technology behind it. Right now, I am working on the part about error correction and thought it was a good idea to maybe include a little experiment. I have read a couple of times across the web that you should be able to drill a small hole into the CD and it will still work because of CIRC.

So I went ahead and made a 1mm hole (see picture). I played the CD on several players and it does not work. Any suggestions why?

Picture:

some type of fail safe in case the laser light is not reflected back? The hole is in the area of the TOC?

Do you think I should try a different CD? Does this really vary a lot among the different kinds?

I guess the hole is not in the TOC, since the it is on the very outer part of the disc as you can see on the picture.

why not try grinding a dull spot in place of a hole?

You can use a black marker pen on the reading side of the CD instead of drilling and is far more safer.

I’ve tried this experiment my self (black marker pen) and found that around your size dots are not corrected by some PC CD drives, but smaller sizes are no problems for all my drives.

Hmm, about your non readable CD-R on audio players, well that part don’t contain the TOC more likely contains the leadout, but one question you did remember to burn to that CD-R as CDDA tracks and not as MP3 data CD, and also tested it before you drilled it right? :slight_smile:

BTW, here is a link that may interest you:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/other-projects/dae-quality/

Ok, thank you!
I tried the black marker version, and it works well.
And yes, of course I burnt a CD-DA, since only the last track was affected.

By the way: You were talking about the lead-out. Is it of any importance at all, other than telling the drive to stop playing?

Hehe, oki.

The lead-out must exist, else the drive will not recognise it as a valid disc, i.e. if it’s not there PC CD drives will refuse to show a disc being present in the drive.

Hmm, but that isn’t the symptom you have though.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;1959124]… The hole is in the area of the TOC?[/QUOTE]:disagree:

I guess the hole is not in the TOC, since the it is on the very outer part of the disc as you can see on the picture.
Yes [I]m-e-r-c-u-r-y,[/I] AFAIK TOC is in program area at the inner (lead-in) part of disc. :slight_smile: