Drastically decreased write speeds and sluggish performance

vbimport

Hello all, obviously new to the forum, so if this is not the correct section forgive me, and relatively new to DVD ripping/writing.

Over the past few weeks I’ve started ripping DVDs and burning in my free time. My software is fairly basic, I’ve been using DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15, backing that to an ISO file rather than employing the burn feature and then using Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7 (came with computer) to burn the image to DVD. It would usually take DVD Shrink 15-20 to create the ISO file and about 25 minutes to write, not the best times I’m sure, but as a novice 2-3 films a day is perfectly fine.

However, today I foolishly attempted to burn a Criterion Collection release, unbeknownst to the, what should have been obvious, fact that they copy protect their discs and that my stock burner would not be able to bypass it. At this point my burner made some interesting noises before I canceled the back-up. I already had two other ISO files on my harddrive anyway, so I decided to burn them.

When I began the writing process I immediately released that the process was much slower than normal. My usual speed resides in the 6x range (on rather cheap 8x discs), but now it is in the .5-1.5x range. It took me an hour and a half to burn one ISO when before with the exact same settings I could do 3-4. Coupled with this something seems to be hogging my available RAM as I can usually at least use the internet, but now during the write process my system is often lagging or unresponsive.

I’m not sure what this could be, the laptop I use is fairly basic:
1.73GHz
512 MB
DDR2 533 MHz
Stock RW DVD+R DL Drive
Not really optimal I know, but as I said it got the job done in satisfactory time before.

Any ideas?

Check that DMA is still enabled for both your hard drive and your burner. Often when reading a disc where consistent errors occur the drive will switch itself into PIO mode.

After looking at my IDE Channel it seems that Device 0 has switched to PIO. From searching around I’m assuming this is fairly common? What is my next step?

Assuming that you’re running XP, try to switch it manually back to DMA. If, however, the option to do so doesn’t appear (or is greyed out), “uninstall” the drive from Device Manager and then re-boot.

The drive will then be detected by windows and should be reset back to DMA.

Read the following:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60218

I uninstalled, rebooted and it switched back to DMA, I’m currently doing a test burn and it seems to be almost back to previous speeds.

Thank you for your help.