DRAMeXchange: Prices of SSDs to drop in 2018 due to capacity expansion and lower demand

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/dramexchange-prices-ssds-drop-2018-due-capacity-expansion-lower-demand-83200/

Market research company DRAMeXchange predicts that NAND memory based products will become cheaper next year, due to an oversupply of the memory. With cheap NAND, it’s very like also prices of SSDs will drop considerably.

I hope so.

28.11.2016 I bought a MX300 525GB for 93,90€, actual price is 132€

With the recent price hike, they are back to 2014 prices, so indeed would like them to drop also.

I paid about £129 for a Crucial M4 512GB back in April 2014, nearly 3.5 years ago. It was an Amazon Warehouse deal so probably was £20-£30 more new. It still works well in my laptop today.

In my desktop PC I use a combination of a 256GB Micron SSD that came with the PC and a 480GB SanDisk Ultra II a work colleague no longer wanted. She went back to HDD (seriously) after losing a lot of work when her SSD failed (one day working, next day not detected in BIOS). I gave her a lend of a 500GB HDD, but when she got her SSD replaced under warranty, she asked if I would take the SSD in exchange.

Whenever 1TB M.2 SSDs come down enough, I’ll probably get one. :slight_smile: