Downloads with "dlm" in file name

vbimport

Firstly, scared though I am of asking a question that has been answered elsewhere, I do seem to spend a lot of time searching without finding pertinent info.

General question: what’s the deal with those software downloads where you get what you think is the package but when you run it, it wants to connect to the net and download another truckload of files for the actual installation?

A specific case; I just found a PDF read/edit suite (freeware, they claim) that I want to try. I downloaded nitro_pdf_reader_32_dlm.exe, and when I ran it, it stalled because by that stage I had disconnected from the net and restarted my machine. (I tend to want to install new software while offline in case of nasties).

So I’m wondering if I should be suspicious of this behaviour - after all if it’s necessary to have say, 26Mb of installation files, why not just provide them up front without the added couple of megs of load on my limited allowance, occasioned by what I’m guessing is a download manager file?

Some well known companies have gone to this strategy. I believe the Adobe Flash program is managed in this way, for example. So the process by itself isn’t suspicious, as it has been adopted by a few reputable companies.

In this particular case, Nitro pdf software has been around a while, and there are reviews of the professional version available at PCMag and PCWorld, as well as a download at CNet, so I doubt that there is anything nefarious going on with this download.

Absolutely agrees with Kerry. Nevertheless I would suggest remaining suspicious when you face similar phenomena on the net as it is wildly used by some “bad mannered professionals”.

A really good implementation of this technology is NiNite, where you can build and run a script to automatically download and install latest versions of dozens of apps. I use it every time I launch a new system.

Thanks for all your replies :iagree: I shall go ahead and try the package.

[QUOTE=Illuminatus;2688629] …it is wildly used by some “bad mannered professionals”.[/QUOTE]

I am intrigued. What should I watch out for?

[QUOTE=dikki;2688680]I am intrigued. What should I watch out for?[/QUOTE]

For the same practice in an unknown place. Especially watch out for for executable files.

Particularly, always look for a “clean” source, as many bad sites wrap decent freeware in their own puke-filled download manager.

Some other sites seem to think a download manager is a useful service, but it’s usually just an annoyance!

Oh and I took an instant dislike to Nitro for demanding an email - so here is how to trip the download without
http://www.nitroreader.com/en/download

Looks like there’s a no DLM / no email req. version here