Downloading movies

vbimport

Hey guys,

I’m a newbie and i was wondering if someone knows a legal software so i would be able to capture movies from Netflix?
Are there any opportunities ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=teddywally;2779072]Hey guys,

I’m a newbie and i was wondering if someone knows a legal software so i would be able to capture movies from Netflix?
Are there any opportunities ?

Thank you :)[/QUOTE]
NetFlix is all copyrighted content, and you do not have an original disc so this would be illegal. :wink:

This is really a tricky situation in regards to the law and the terms of your contract with Netflix. Netflix specifically prohibits you to [I] archive, download (other than through caching necessary for personal use), reproduce, distribute, modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works from, offer for sale, or use (except as explicitly authorized in these Terms of Use) content and information contained on or obtained from or through the Netflix service without express written permission from Netflix and its licensors.”
[/I]

So this is a breach of contract, which could lead to an end of your service if you are caught.

It is not, however, impossible to do, and the method by which it is done sidesteps the DMCA restrictions on breaking encryption. There is one software called Playon, which acts as a screen recorder, so it does not break encryption, and is in fact, supported by a Supreme Court ruling on recording television using a VCR. Playon has been in business since 2011 and the television studios, movie studios and streaming video businesses have ignored them, since the outcome of a suit would be in doubt. Is it entirely legal? I’m not sure anyone can answer that. It might have to go to court for a judgement.

There seem to be a lot of programs that claim to do it, not sure if they grab the stream or play-capture

Welcome to the forum teddywally :flower:

Technology/programs probably exist to do it any way you want, but initially I would think that grabbing the stream would be a breach according to the Netflix EULA/Terms of use whereas a screen-capture, sound and all would be what’s in the grey from a legal viewpoint?

Someone step in to correct me if I’m wrong :iagree:

This is something I would not ask about here. Not to mention - as stated above - it violates Netflix’s TOS.

I am not saying it cant be done, it can, but it is illegal to do, so I will politely refrain from giving any advice.

I’m not so sure it [B]is[/B] illegal to record streaming media that you have paid for. In this case, and in most others I can think of, it would be a civil matter…a breach of the contract between the individual and the company providing the movie, or tv show or sports program that is being streamed.

As long as the encryption isn’t removed, and the recording is done by screen capture, I don’t think this can be viewed as a criminal matter. Even the movie studios have advised people to record directly off their tv screens when they want a copy of a copyright protected movie. This is their answer every time someone tries to make an exception for home copying of DVD’s through the process set up by the DMCA and the office of the Librarian of Congress.

Recording from streaming material over the net is not a well defined area in copyright law as far as I am aware, but as I said earlier, I believe the Supreme Court ruling in the US allowing copies by VCR’s could very well be applied here.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I would have a question in this respect. In my country, I am pretty sure I can make a screen recording including a movie running (even with sound) as long as the recording includes other parts of the screen, whatever it may be and I would not get punished. How is this in the U.S. (other countries of the world as well for that matter).

Record your favorite films and TV shows on Netflix easily with high video and audio quality, you need the help of a professional Netflix video recorder.
Here Any Video Recorder is highly recommended as the best video recorder to capture Netflix streaming videos.
With it, you can keep the Netflix streaming videos on your computer forever and watch them on iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android Phones, Tablets.

I doubt Netflix would let this action fly. If you read their EULA it prohibits such activities.

One should read and understand what they agreed to when they joined Netflix.

https://help.netflix.com/legal/eula?locale=en&docType=eula