Downloaded virus

I got a message when on the internet from Norton Security. It said High Risk virus accessing your computer. It said it was a downloader and listed a file with a lot of numbers. It said that it could not repair this file. Now I have this video cd file listed as ntuser on my computer that will not delete. It says that another application is using it. Help. :a I did a system restore to no avail and scanned with Norton but it did not pick it up.

you can download unlocker http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml (FREE) which gives you the chance to right click this file, select unlocker and then you can delete this file.

btw, are you a rangers fan ? :bigsmile:

Yep I am a Gers fan. I clicked on the download but it requires torrrent software and I am not too sure how all this works. :doh:

heres another link, the .exe should come straight up

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/unlocker1.8.5.exe

Yes unfortunately I keep getting the same result. I clicked on Unlocker and it will not delete and keeps the Path Locked. There are two files coming up in Unlocker ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.Log… both are listed as system files. :sad:

can you install unlocker ok ?

can you right click the file your trying to delete and click on unlocker

then you’ll get a screen like this

choose delete then OK, sometimes it’ll say that a reboot is needed.

here’s a site that you can scan your file too see what virus it has and i’m sure it’ll also tell you what program to use to delete it

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.log are system files containing the registry entries
[li] associated with a user, e.g. your user. One set of such files exist per user on the system usually here:[/li]
C:\Documents and Settings"username"
tuser.dat
tuser.dat.log

If you were able to successfully delete those files, you probably wouldn’t be able to login or run anything on the system, so don’t try to forcible delete them!

If the files are located in another folder it’s possible that they are just masquerading as system files, but don’t delete the files unless you are absolutely sure that you’re not deleting your own (or some other user’s) registry files.

[*] registry hive for HKEY_CURRENT_USER

have a read of this thread from another site

[B]maybe it’s not a good idea to delete these files (ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.Log)[/B],

but it’ll be ok to delete the original video cd file

[quote=“DrageMester”]
ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.log are system files containing the registry entries
[li] associated with a user, e.g. your user. One set of such files exist per user on the system usually here:
[/li]
tuser.dat
tuser.dat.log

If you were able to successfully delete those files, you probably wouldn’t be able to login or run anything on the system, so don’t try to forcible delete them!

If the files are located in another folder it’s possible that they are just masquerading as system files, but don’t delete the files unless you are absolutely sure that you’re not deleting your own (or some other user’s) registry files.

[li] registry hive for HKEY_CURRENT_USER[/li][/quote]

Yep you are right but what do I do about it. Unlocker gives me the option when I right click the file, up pops the unlocker window telling me exactly the two files you mention above. I can click to delete but there is no ok button. All there is are 4 options, kill process, unlock, unlock all and quit. None of which delete or unlock any of the filesl :confused:

as said above, do not delete these two files, ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.Log.

can you scan these files in the site i posted you, click on the link & use the browse to go to these files

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

see what it says about them

It won’t upload because a firewall or malware is blocking it. Many thanks for your help will read all the help info tomorrow. I had a look in the registry but I don’t see ntuser listed.

Moved to General Software forum

A file in my C:\ drive showed up as a media file, but that was only after I installed Nero. This file was a Windows’ one, but the file extension was now associated with Nero - could this be your problem?

My advice is to get rid of Norton, I’d be happy to tell you of some very reliable anti-virus/firewall/anti-malware software if you like, either free or payable if you’re willing to spend some dosh, bearing in mind that you’re using Norton, and that aint exactly free :wink:

[U]Off-topic:
[/U]Hey all, I’m Lambie :slight_smile: