Download Limit - Please Read

vbimport

Hi, I am currently on Sky’s free 2mb broadband with a 2gb download limit. For the sake of the forum rules I will STATE ONLY that I downloaded a movie 1.45gb at the start of the month and I may have downloaded more than 500mb since then, meaning I have breached my download limit.
My previous knowledge of this was that only a letter of warning was issued by your ISP (Sky) and that was that. Until recently I was alarmed to find on other forums that your ISP charges per mb over, some stated £2 PER MEGABYTE! which if true can only be described as an outrage.
Is there any means by which I can see how much I have downloaded or at least if I have gone over my download limit, without contacting my ISP?I have heard software being mentioned a while back that can keep track of monthly downloads.
Surely a warning must be issued, by Sky, before the limit is passed, without informing me of the charge at a ridiculous rate.
If anyone has any clue please let me know as other forums have been a waste of time returning no responses.
Can someone also tell me what exactly contributes to your downloads? Copying text and images? Opening files as opposed to saving them? P2P Networks?
Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I know it is a bit lengthy but if the charge is true then I’m in trouble.

Hi,[quote=PughLfC;2141459]Hi, I am currently on Sky’s free 2mb broadband with a 2gb download limit. (…) meaning I have breached my download limit.
My previous knowledge of this was that only a letter of warning was issued by your ISP (Sky) and that was that. Until recently I was alarmed to find on other forums that your ISP charges per mb over, some stated £2 PER MEGABYTE! which if true can only be described as an outrage.
Is there any means by which I can see how much I have downloaded or at least if I have gone over my download limit, without contacting my ISP?[/quote]when I had a volume rate, my ISPs offered a website where I could log in and have a look at the amount of data I had already “consumed”. Is there no such thing like “your bill online” offered by your ISP?
Of course there was no notification if I had overriden the limit.

Can someone also tell me what exactly contributes to your downloads?
Anything that is transferred via internet, including mails, websites etc. It does not matter if you open a PDF (for example) directly or store on your HDD befor reading it.

Michael

I am also with Sky

I would not worry about it to much, at present they dont really monitor your connection usage unless you seriously go over the top on it month after month. I know there have been reports of people downloading 20-30GB on the 2GB package in one month.

You can find most of your questions with Sky broadband at a user forum of http://www.skyuser.co.uk

Thanks for reading and responding, mciahel and qwakrz. I feel a bit better now, I was starting to think I was going to be forking out a lot of money. I’ll give the website a try.

If you are anything more than a light user, better to stump up the extra fiver a month… more speed, more capacity (40GB limit). Or the big one (£10) where they SAY there is now no limit, though I expect they would find some loophole to quell any truly blatant abusers.

The biggest sting for overuse often tends to be on mobile broadband, with marginal rates the Mafia would be proud of!