Downgrading Firmware for LiteOn iHAS324

vbimport

Considering downgrading the firmware on a LiteOn iHAS324 writer to check for any improvement in reading data from dicey discs.

Apparently the LiteOn firmware flash utility will ONLY(?) allow upgrading the firmware and will [u]not allow downgrading firmware/u

So, is it possible to downgrade the firmware? If so, how?

Which iHAS324 do you have?

iHAS324 B.

I also have some other LiteOn drives as well.

It seems the LiteOn flash utility will only allow upgrades and not downgrades for all LiteOn drives(?)

[QUOTE=meeshu;2783430]iHAS324 B.[/QUOTE]There should be some firmware files around here somewhere which you can flash with the Flash Utility… I’ll see if I can search.

It seems the LiteOn flash utility will only allow upgrades and not downgrades for all LiteOn drives(?)

Yes, this is normal behavior for the official firmware updaters.

Here’s a reliable upload of AL14. [QUOTE=C0deKing;2551002]^ Here you go:
http://codeworks.cdfreaks.com/firmwares/AL14.rar

Kindly provided by 2601.[/QUOTE]

I believe that should be a .bin file. Flash with the Flash Utility.

I don’t know if there is an older firmware on the site.

Thanks for your efforts!

Firmware upgrades are available from here.

In any case I think there has been a misunderstanding. I am wanting to go back to an earlier version of firmware. The iHAS324 B drive has the latest firmware version AL1B already installed. I would like to install an earlier version of firmware such as version AL19, for example, instead of version AL1B.

So how do you flash early versions of firmware in LiteOn drives?

Flash AL14, then upgrade to whichever version you want.

That, of course, means AL14 is as far back as you can go (the first scan on the forum is with AL12, so I don’t think you’re missing much).

In general, you have to have the firmware .bin file to flash, or have an unlocked flasher for the firmware you want to flash. But at the very least, you have to have the oldest firmware you can find, as well as have official updaters to whatever newer version you want.

The LiteOn firmware releases come in an executable format which includes a utility that checks the current version of firmware installed before attempting to re-flash.

The problem is that if the LiteOn utility detects that a later version of firmware has already been installed within a drive, then the LiteOn flash utility will NOT install an earlier version of firmware.

I’ve already tried to do this by trying to install version AL18 firmware via the LiteOn utility, but it detects that the drive already has a later firmware version AL1B installed and the LiteOn flash utility stops with an message about unable to install the (earlier) version of firmware.

So installing an earlier version of firmware will have to be done by some other means, if possible, since the official LiteOn flash utility will not allow flashing of earlier versions of firmware.

Let me explain a little differently.

For this particular drive, you take this Flash Utility http://club.myce.com/f44/flash-utility-plds-liteon-based-optical-drives-v7-2-0-a-190420/

(notice the capitalization I use; when capitalized, I’m referring to that specific utility)

And the AL14.bin file (download the .rar file, and the .bin file is inside).

Flash the AL14.bin file to the drive using Flash Utility.

From there, you can flash anything from AL15 to AL1B (or anything later, should something magically pop up years later).

Repeat the process if you need to downgrade again. (Say, you realize that AL16 was best, and you’re on AL18 again. Flash back down to AL14, then upgrade to AL16.)

For other drives, you would do something similar. If you had the unique unlocked .bin files, that would be easier, as you could just flash to that firmware, but at the LEAST, you get the oldest .bin file you can find, which will allow you to use the official locked firmware flashers to get whichever firmware you want.

I apologize for the confusion.

Ah, that is much clearer, thanks!

Downloaded and used the LiteOn flash utility by “codeguys”, and it successfully downgraded the iHAS324 B firmware to version AL14, by using the AL14.bin file.

Now, I tried using this codeguys flash utility on another computer which has a LiteOn iHAS324 C writer with latest firmware version LL14. I wanted to downgrade this firmware to version LL12.

Firmware LL12 was downloaded from firwarehq.com as an LL12.exe file, there was no .bin file found. Problem is that the codeguys flash utility this time asked only for a .bin file, there was no option to select an .exe file this time(?)

On the first computer with the iHAS324 B drive, the codeguys flash utility had the option to select either a .bin or an .exe file, but for some reason on the other computer (with the iHAS324 C) there wasn’t an option to select an .exe file. Why?

I tried selecting all files (*) and then selected the LL12.exe file, but the flash utility stopped with a message about version not found. This is probably due to the LL12.exe being packed and/or encrypted. So I tried unpacking/decrypting using one or two different programs which ultimately produced an unpacked/decrypted .exe file (at least I think was).

This time the codeguys flash utility recognized the firmware version as LL12, but after continuing, an error message appeared, something about “~FU_FlasherVer.fue has encountered a problem and needs to close”. Then another message appears about “Failed to start the flasher!”.

It’s possible the unpacked/decrypted LL12.exe may not have been properly unpacked/decrypted(?)

So I can’t seem to downgrade the firmware for the iHAS324 C drive as I don’t have the LL12.bin file and/or a fully unpacked/decrypted LL12.exe file(!?)

The Flash Utility would work if the .exe file was unlocked, I believe. Almost none of the official updaters are unlocked (the few that exist are an exception to the rule).

You understand correctly; you can’t downgrade the C drive.

Should no one else notice this thread: You may be able to request an unlocked LL12 firmware file by going to the iHASx24 C thread, asking kindly, explaining your situation, and waiting patiently to see if someone can help. http://club.myce.com/f44/liteon-ihas124-224-324-424-524-624-c-dh24ac-326091/

Noted, thanks!

[QUOTE=Albert;2783447]Let me explain a little differently.

For this particular drive, you take this Flash Utility http://club.myce.com/f44/flash-utility-plds-liteon-based-optical-drives-v7-2-0-a-190420/

(notice the capitalization I use; when capitalized, I’m referring to that specific utility)

And the AL14.bin file (download the .rar file, and the .bin file is inside).

Flash the AL14.bin file to the drive using Flash Utility.

From there, you can flash anything from AL15 to AL1B (or anything later, should something magically pop up years later).

Repeat the process if you need to downgrade again. (Say, you realize that AL16 was best, and you’re on AL18 again. Flash back down to AL14, then upgrade to AL16.)

For other drives, you would do something similar. If you had the unique unlocked .bin files, that would be easier, as you could just flash to that firmware, but at the LEAST, you get the oldest .bin file you can find, which will allow you to use the official locked firmware flashers to get whichever firmware you want.

I apologize for the confusion.[/QUOTE]

Hi Albert,

You helped me out earlier, I was the one that created a new thread regarding downgrading my IHAS324 B drive.

I’d noticed this thread before posting about my issue and didn’t achieve any success with this method yet in this instance it was a success for this member.

I know its a bit redundant bringing this up now that I’ve successfully downgraded through an alternative method but I was just curious all the same, I could NOT flash the AL14.bin file you provided using the LiteOn Flash Utility either 6.0.1 or 7.2.0.

My IHAS324 B had the latest firmware AL1B

Thanks again for all your assistance!

^ the user ended up using an unlocked flasher & it worked fine.

Backing the firmware up from the drive worked with Flash Utility, but restoring it didn’t. The AL18 flasher located at FirmwareHQ is unlocked & allowed a return to AL12.

Albert were you referring to me or the user “meeshu”?

I was specifically asking whether the above method worked for user “meeshu” regarding the use of the AL14.bin file to revert/downgrade using the LiteOn Flash Utility, meeshu said he successfully downgraded back to AL14 using the .bin file you provided but I attempted the same using that AL14.bin file but it returned an error failed to write response multiple times, so I just wandered why user “meeshu” had success with the instructions you provided but not with my particular IHAS324 B drive.

Sorry for the confusion

I was adding that as a note to what you wrote; you mentioned what DIDN’T work, but didn’t mention that you found a workaround. :wink: