Downgrade firmware

vbimport

i asked it before , but never get a answer , or i missed it , so : is it possible to downgrade a firmware version ( plextor 24:10/40a or plextor 12/4/32s ) , in other words : is possible to go back from 1.04 to 1.03 ( for example ) if you want it ?? , never get a answer from plextor too ,

thanks

Of course you can downgrade firmware, it is software stored in E2prom. Now the only trouble you may have is if the flash program checked the current version first!!

of course, since you can use mtkflash for flashing its bios (mtkflash uses brute force for writing and even works if a drive is not recognised by the BIOS)

mtkflash does not work with the plex, however, plex’s own fw program will flash regardless of what version is on the drive at present. It will flash up or down.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42865

> Note that this may only work for drives with mediatek

Another thread says that plextor 24x uses a mediatek chipset.

==> ? I’ll try it on my own (only to extract the firmware)

go to plextor europe and download their program for firmware update, i was able to downgrade with no problem with that

thanks you all for the replys ,

i will try it the way ssjkakaroto says

Does anybody know if mtkflash works on samsung devices??

the mtk stands for mediatek, so it is designed for mediatek chipsets. I don’t think that the samsung has a mediatek chipset, but someone else may know for sure.

Samsung uses its own chips; they are also found in the low-end Ricoh.

The thing is that i have a ruined Samsung 612S DVD … my younger brother tried to update its firmware with the wrong f/w version so now it acts as if it were dead. :mad:

I have tried reflashing with the correct f/w with no luck … everytime i try all i get is some strange noise for the device while in the process with no result. I was looking for a program that would force the wrong f/w out so that i can update it…

Any suggestions? It would be a shame to throw away a working piece of machinery :frowning:

Ask the God of Media & Liteon about this. He PM’d me today about some outrageous way of bring a dead 32123S back to life & the damn method worked; he’s a Freak

Originally posted by FutureProof
Ask the God of Media & Liteon about this. He PM’d me today about some outrageous way of bring a dead 32123S back to life & the damn method worked; he’s a Freak

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I didn’t know that OC-Freak has such a reputation ! Should i post a new message at the media forum then? I’ll wait a while, maybe he’ll drop by in the next few hours … don’t wanna repost the same problem again and again … Tax may get irritated :wink:

Hemispasm: check your yahoo mail :wink:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Hemispasm: check your yahoo mail :wink:

THANX !!!

I will try it tonight and see …

I think i have tried in the past with mtkflash with no luck, but i didn’t have the drive on the main ide nor did i use this particular firmware…

I will post when i get it done … Hope it works

I love it when CD Freaks make my day !! :smiley:

I finally did flash the drive and guess what ??.. It became alive again, thanx to OC :smiley:
There’s nothing like bringing adead piece of machinery back to life - not to mention the 100$ i saved !!

There’s still a little problem though…

The drive is recognized under bios and windows, it plays dvds and autoruns games… the problem is that i can’t open any cd!!! When i go to my computer and press open cd or choose explore or search the cd it does nothing!! System don’t crash or anything, it just doesn’t respond!

Under dos when i use “dir” etc it opens the cd right away and reads all contents of the cd!

Any ideas? I thought of using the firmware provided by samsung but then again it doesn’t seem to me that it is a firmware thing. More like an xp bug or something!:confused:

False alarm …

I just changed ide cables (put it on ide 2) and works just fine !! :confused:

Anyways, thanx a lot guys (special thanx to “God of Media&Liteon” !!! :wink: )

That “can’t see files on cd” bug is a very common windows XP bug. I’ve not found a real working solution. :frowning:

You have grabbed all updates from windows update? If you have: I guess we just have to wait and hope that service pack 1 will fix the problem.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]That “can’t see files on cd” bug is a very common windows XP bug. I’ve not found a real working solution. :frowning:

You have grabbed all updates from windows update? If you have: I guess we just have to wait and hope that service pack 1 will fix the problem. [/B]

Well yes i have installed all windows updates up to now. If my memory serves me right, this has also occured with my plexie 40x a few weeks ago but was “fixed” by itself after a day or two.

Besides i have changed the drive from ide1 to 2 and it now works properly. A few minutes ago i put it back to ide1 as slave and works fine !!???

You never know with windows i guess !! … it’s like they have a mind of their own sometimes - and a very twisted one i might add :wink:

Anyways thanx a lot for your help OC-Freak !!! :smiley: